Quarter Century

Ember's POV

I carefully slip out of Ashton's arms, somehow managing to not wake him, and head quietly down the hall. I hear footsteps coming as I pull what I need from the fridge and turn afraid I've been caught.

"Are you making Ash breakfast for his birthday?" Lauren asks, her and Harry standing at the top of the stairs.

"Yeah. I thought you were him."

"Nope. But can we help?" Harry grins.

"Sure. I'm making crepes, you can slice up the fruit if you want while I make the actual crepes." I nod, pulling out some cutting boards and knives.

"So do you and Ash live together now? Or do you still have your own place?" Lauren asks as I heat up the pans.

"I still have my own little apartment. But since I'm a teacher and off for summer break we've been here a lot."

"I was just curious since Paislee has her own room and you seem so at home here." She shrugs.

"Ashton set up that room for Paislee without telling me. I came over one night and he surprised us with it. I have a dozen or so outfits here too. I mean it's not like I don't live here, I just still have my own place too."

"Whatever works for you guys. I was just prying."

"No it's fine. I don't mind. You guys can ask anything you'd like, I'm dating your brother so I'm sure you want to get to know me. Make sure I'm not crazy or something."

"We don't think you're crazy, Ember. Not at all." Harry jumps in.

"But we do want to make sure Ashton has the best. He has done so much for us growing up. He deserves the absolute best he could possibly get." Lauren adds.

"Well, I mean, I have my downfalls, everyone does. But I hope I'm good enough." I chuckle.

"Don't start panicking, Ember. You already passed the most important test. You make him exceptionally happy." I turn as Anne comes into the room, sitting down at the bar.

"Besides, we definitely want to like you." Lauren adds.

"Well, thanks. I want you all to like me too."

"Your family liked Ashton, right?" Anne questions.

"Yeah. They were extremely hesitant, but they liked him a lot."

"Why were they hesitant?" Harry asks.

"My ex is super crazy, and we didn't realize that for a while. they were worried I might bring home another crazy one, and they didn't want that." I chuckle.

"Good reason to be weary."

"Yeah. But he won everyone over."

"So you have nothing to worry about. If he can win over a bunch of skeptics you can win over three people who really want to like you." Lauren smiles genuinely.

Ashton's POV

"Assy?" I'm startled slightly as Paislee pats my head.

"Morning, princess. Where's mommy?" I yawn, stretching out.

"Kitchen. Scawy." She pouts.

"What's scary about the kitchen, Pai?" I chuckle.

"Peopwe." She crosses her arms.

"They aren't scary, they are my family. My mommy and sister and brother." I scoop her up and head for the door.

"Pai no wike them." She insists, making me laugh softly.