12. Bailey

"By the beer taste in your mouth and that little public display, I guess I have some catching up to do," Nick teases, standing up straight but not releasing his arms around me.

It wasn't the alcohol that made me do that. It was the sudden and undeniable relief I felt when I saw him. I didn't like feeling nervous when it came to letting the world know about us, or upset about Mandy moving on. But at least I know now that when I'm feeling weak, all I need is Nick to get my strength back.

"Let's get you a cup," I smile.

I reach behind me and grab Nick's hand. Without looking back, we leave the room, hand in hand. "You smell like pizza," I say, looking back at him.

He groans. "I knew it. I took a shower, but I swear that shit gets into my pores and never goes away."

We walk past Ian and Amanda in the kitchen on our way to the keg. Ian sees Nick's and my hands intertwined and looks away with a scowl on his face.

I fill cups for myself and Nick while his hand rests on the small of my back. "I like the way you smell," I say to him. "But it's making me hungry."

"Unfortunately, I don't think we're allowed in the kitchen right now."

"I know, right? I had a talk with him in the car, but I'm not sure if it made a difference."

Nick doesn't respond. He just takes a drink of his beer.

Ginny and a boy who I presume is her boyfriend come onto the back porch. She looks between Nick and I. "Hi, you guys," she says. "So I guess you weren't lying."

I appreciate her trying to joke—it eases the tension slightly. I laugh and look at Nick. He is looking extremely uncomfortable. Without looking at any of us, he says "I gotta take a piss" and walks inside the house.

Ginny and her boyfriend look at each other with their eyebrows raised. I wish Nick would stop doing things like that. I know he was probably feeling awkward, but every time we are around other people, he becomes so rude. They are going to think he's an asshole, and I don't want that.

I used to think the same thing, but now I know the real him. He's the sweetest, most thoughtful person, he just doesn't let anyone see that.

Plus, he left me alone with Ginny and Daniel which is just irritating. I watch as the lovely couple looks into each other's eyes before kissing, completely ignoring me. I think three's a crowd. "I'll see you guys later?"

"Of course," Ginny answers, glancing in my general direction.

I re-enter the house and immediately head to the nearest bathroom, looking for Nick. I turn a corner and am shocked to see him and Mitzi talking alone. Without thought, I back up so they can't see me.

I know I shouldn't. I know it makes me a horrible person. But I stand there, hiding from them, so I can listen to their conversation.

"So what was that whole thing with Bailey?" I hear Mitzi ask.

"What do you mean?"

She sighs. "You know what I mean. That kiss. You told me before you weren't into PDA."

There is a moment of silence. His response could go one of two ways. Either he downplays our relationship like it's nothing, or he defends it.

"I guess it's different when it's my girlfriend," he says. I feel a nice warmth spread through me. He called me his girlfriend. I realize I've never actually heard him use that word in front of other people.

It sounds like Mitzi chokes on her drink. "Girlfriend? Bailey Rogers is your girlfriend?"

"Sure looks like it," Nick is starting to sound defensive. Good.