40. Nick

Nick keeps his eyes closed even after waking up. He's not ready to face the day—which he knows it is due to warmth of the sun hitting him through his window.

But when he hears the noise of someone moving, his eyelids slowly part. Ian is sitting on the desk chair, watching something on his laptop with headphones on. Nick reaches across to tap his leg and get his attention, but every molecule in his body aches as he does so.

Ian jumps when he makes contact. "Holy fuck! You scared the shit out of me!"

Nick rolls back and throws his arm over his eyes. He finds a new ache as he tries to open his mouth. "Why does my jaw hurt?"

"You've been grinding your teeth all night."

"I don't grind my teeth."

Ian takes his headphones off and swivels the chair so he's facing Nick. "Yeah I didn't think so either, but then when I googled it, I learned that it's a common behavior of people high on Ecstasy."

Confusion hits Nick, but only for a half-second. He did take Ecstasy last night. Why? Fucking Eva. Being trapped in the bathroom with her comes back to him like a tidal wave.

He reaches over and grabs a full glass that's sitting on his desk, assuming it is meant for him.

"Bailey is here," Ian says, and Nick chokes on the water. "She borrowed my mom's car and got here this morning. She was so excited to see you. But I told her to let you sleep. She just left to get coffee. She should be back any minute."

Nick just stares at him, wondering where his disgusted tone is coming from. Running through the events of last night, Nick remembers listening to the heavy metal music and thinking it was the best thing he'd ever heard. And then he went to get a drink because he was thirsty. And Eva joined him. And he talked about Bailey. And then Eva held his hand and tried to kiss him, but he pushed her away. And then she pushed him on the couch and—

No.

That couldn't have really happened. That was a dream. Or a story that someone told him. It wasn't him. It wasn't him.

But then the image of a naked Eva straddling him and grinding into his lap emerges in his brain. He's going to be sick. He tastes bile in his throat and grabs his trash can just in time to vomit directly into it.

When he's done, he sees Ian holding a newly filled glass of water. "Well at least you seem to feel guilty," he says, handing it over.

"Oh my God, Ian. What the fuck happened?"

He shakes his head. "I don't know. I'd never seen you like that before."

That's right. It was the drugs. It wasn't him. It doesn't count. Right?

"Did you..." Nick clears his throat. "Did you tell Bailey?"

"No."

Nick exhales a sigh of relief. Thank God.

"But if you don't, I will."

Nick sits up for the first time, ignoring the pounding in his head. "Why?!?"

Ian's eyes widen for a second before he responds like the answer is obvious. "Because she's my sister, Nick. And I saw her boyfriend cheating on her."

"So that's all I am to you now? Your sister's boyfriend?"

Ian looks down just as the door opens. "That was your choice. Not mine."

Nick braces himself against the impact that those words have and looks over at Bailey. She's practically bathed in sunlight as she smiles down at him. She has on cutoff jean shorts and a white tank top. Her hair is down, and it looks curly.