37. Nick

"It's just such bullshit," Nick says, opening another beer. "Mandy's probably got some fucking drama going on with her boyfriend, and Bailey acts like the world needs to stop. Did I mention they haven't spoken since March?"

"Yeah," Cam answers. "Once or twice."

"Fuck, I'm sorry. I know I won't shut up about it."

"It's fine. That's what I'm here for. Vent away." Cam pats him on the back.

"And thanks for coming over. I wasn't going to be able to sit here by myself all night."

Cam pauses, thinking. "Are you sure it wasn't an actual situation that kept Bailey home? I've been around you guys a lot this summer, and I can't picture her ditching you if it wasn't for a good reason."

"I also couldn't picture her living with two guys and not telling me about it. It turns I don't know her that well, though."

Cam nods. "Yeah. That does seem a bit out of character."

"Derek is going to try to fuck her. I know it."

"Just remember it takes two people to hook up. And Bailey completely trusts you, maybe you should trust her."

"What the fuck? Who's side are you on?"

"Honestly, no one's. But I've watched her as girls practically throw themselves at you and she has been completely cool with it. Some of my exes would have lost it." Cam looks away. "Listen, I'm sure you will see her soon. She'll explain everything, and you guys will have a mind-blowing makeup fuck session that people will talk about for years to come."

Nick rolls his eyes. "And how do you know that?"

Cam smirks. "I heard you two in the bathroom when we were working in that shitty bar last month. You aren't quiet."

Nick feels his cheeks redden as he recalls that night. Bailey sitting on the edge of the sink in one of the smallest bathrooms Nick has ever seen. Graffiti littered the walls and the lid of the toilet was missing, but he hadn't even noticed while he was pounding into her. Her head was bent at an awkward angle against the mirror, but she didn't want him to stop. She kept wanting more of him, and in their drunken states—thanks to one too many of Cam's shots—she had no problem yelling that loud and proud.

"Is anything going on around town tonight?" He asks Cam, suppressing the memory. "Let's get out of here. I'm in this room all the fucking time."

"Yeah, maybe you need to be around other people, get your mind off everything instead of dwelling on this over and over...no offense." He stands up. "Let me make some calls."

Nick doesn't listen to anything Cam says on the phone. He's not completely sure this is a good idea. Being in the presence of a thousand people isn't going to replace Bailey. But she obviously doesn't feel the same about him, choosing Mandy over the person who's been by her side constantly.

It's just so selfish of her, and he didn't think she could sink any lower after the revelation that Derek gave him. She succeeded, however.

"Bad news," Cam says, hanging up his phone. "It's like a ghost town tonight, nothing is going on except at my boy, Devin's."

"What's wrong with that?"

"Those dudes can get wild. The cops busted the last party I was at there, and remember that little ray of sunshine, Eva?"

Nick nods slowly.

"She's over there all the fucking time. I'm sure she'll be there tonight."

"Who gives a fuck? If it's a party, I'll just avoid her. And I can handle myself."