58. Bailey

Six Months Later:

"I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to cry." I repeat, out loud, to myself as I drive to my parents' house.

Mandy and Ellie are moving to Chicago next weekend, without me. They found a cute two bedroom apartment near Mandy's office, and I'm excited for them. But it's been over three years since I've lived without them. Even though I've found a new roommate, things will be different.

But different is good. At least that's what Mandy keeps telling me.

I'm shocked at the amount of cars parked in front of my childhood home. I knew I'd be one of the last ones here since I wasn't able to leave work early, but I didn't think this many people would show up for Mandy and Ellie's going away party.

I end up having to park a block away. If I didn't like my new job so much, I'd be annoyed. It turns out, though, that hospital philanthropy may be my calling. I get out of my office several times a day but won't ever need to travel more than an hour away.

Plus, fundraising for a local hospital is extremely fulfilling. I've only been doing it for a month, but I feel like this is going to be a good fit.

I recognize most of the cars that I pass walking to the house. I see Ian's, and Mandy's, and her parents', and her brothers'. There are several that I don't recognize and a few I'm surprised to see. Lynn doesn't even know Mandy that well.

I open the front door but quickly realize that everyone is in the backyard. I hang my purse on an empty hook in the foyer and walk that direction. The back door is open, and I can see many of the party-goers.

I squint when I see someone who looks like Abby...and Derek? But that can't be. They wouldn't have come all the way from Chicago for this.

My path is blocked as I reach the doorway by two giggly five year olds. Avery and Ellie became instant best friends when we introduced them to each other—bonding over Paw Patrol at the beginning, and then everything.

And apparently they've even started dressing alike. They both have on matching black t-shirts. I see they have something written on them and bend my knees to get a closer look.

On Ellie's it says "Flower Girl", and on Avery's it says "Ring Bearer".

"Where'd you two get these?" I ask, confused. "Is someone getting married that I don't know about?"

They both nod and point behind my back. I turn around, and stop breathing.

Nick is standing in the kitchen wearing a suit, hands in his pockets—definitely not his normal attire, but he looks so handsome. His head is tilted downward but his eyes are on me. He's smirking, and I can tell it's because he's nervous. I can't feel my hands as they move to cover my mouth.

"So this isn't just a party for Mandy," Nick starts, taking a step toward me. I also take a step forward.

He tilts his head to look over my shoulder. "Thanks, guys. I got it from here."

I can hear their little footsteps running toward the yard. Everyone back there is now silent, and I can imagine all their eyes on Nick and I.

"I know we've only re-entered each other's lives not long ago, and I know we've only barely been together longer than we were the last time. But back then, we were kids, Bailey—making promises that we were too young to keep. We're not anymore."

He walks toward me until he is close enough to take hold of my hands. He pulls them gently from my face and rests them at our sides, intertwining all twenty of our fingers. His hands are shaking, and I give him a squeeze to tell him to go on.