Chapter ninteen

"What did you say to Mae?!" Ben screamed through the phone.

"Nothing much. What happened??"

"She locked herself in her room and she keeps screaming. You were the last person she contact with. You must've said something that made her like this" Ben yelled.

"Open the door Mae! It's me ann" I heard Annie say in the background.

"I just told her everything gonna be fine" I explained.

"She keeps saying that you're lying" Ben was being frustrated.

"I swear I just told her everything is gonna be okay!" I yelled and he hung up.

I have to go back now. The next train to New York is at 4pm. It's 2 now. I packed my stuffs and told my grandparents that I'm going to New York. My grandpa drove me to the train station and I said good bye to him.

****BENS POV****

"Stand back, I gonna break the door" I told Annie.

Listening to Mae scream is making my head really sore and she might do something stupid. I can't believe Lea would lie to me. She must've said something to make Mae react like this. I slammed my right side to the door as hard as I could but the door was to strong to break. I tried it again but failed. My right arm was aching, I'm pretty sure bruises are formed already but I ignored it. I kicked the door twice but it wouldn't open.

"Can you go and get me a hammer?" I asked Annie because she is more familiar with Mae's place than I do.

"Okay"

I kicked the door again but it's not working. Annie came back with a hammer and I broke the door knob with it.

We ran inside and found Mae crouching on the floor. She was pulling her hair and her face was really pale. Her eyes and nose was really red and she kept screaming. Annie ran to her and hugged her.

"Stop crying Mae. It's okay. Shhhhhh.." Annie was soothing her. Mae has calmed down a little and all of a sudden, she fainted.

I rushed to Mae and carried her to my car. I put her down gently on the back seat and Annie sat next to her. I drove her to the hospital and carried her inside. Annie informed the nurses of what had happened and they took Mae into a room.

Annie and I werent allowed to enter the room. The nurses called Mae's parents to inform what had happened. I suddenly feel very nervous. How do I explain to them?

"Hey" Annie whispers

I realised that she was sitting next to me.

"She's going to be fine. I know you're worried sick but its going to be okay" she says

I sighed "Yeah. Thanks"

"But dont think that I've forgiven you. I still hate your guts"

"I know what I did was shitty. And I shouldnt have led her on"

"Yep. You're a douche bag. What happened man? You were the sweetest guy in our school and now you're just-" I cut her off

"Well, maybe Im just tired of being the "nice guy"? Girls dont see me in that way" Woah. That sounded better in my head. I sound like a dickhead now.

****Lea's POV****

Finally 4 o'clock and the train starts to move. What was Ben saying? And why did he accuse me of lying. Maybe its just all a big misunderstanding. I tried calling him but he wouldnt answer any of my calls.

After a long ride I finally arrived New York. I get my phone out and dialled Annie's number.

"Hello?" She finally answered.

"Hey! Is Mae okay? Where is she? Are you with her?"

"Yeah. She is sleeping now. We're at the hospital"

"Okay. Im on my way" I say and then I hung up before she could say anything.

When I get to the hospital Annie is sitting outside on a bench with Ben. Annie looks up and I waved but she only gave me a slight smile. Should I go to them or just wait til Ben notice me? I'm pretty sure he's mad at for doing nothing? Ben meets my gaze. He looked frustrated, his hair was messy and his eyes were bloodshot. I smiled but he didn't return the smile like he usually does. A pang of sadness hit me like a tidal wave. I carried me bag and walked to them. What should I say to Ben? Is he gonna yell at me? I wondered. As soon as I started towards them, Ben stood up and disappeared inside. I sigh in relief that he's gone. I sat next to Annie and she shifted a bit away from me.

Why is everyone acting like I'm a monster around them?

"What happened?" I asked.

Annie told me the whole story and I told her mine. This is probably one of Mae's plan to take Ben away from me. I know it is.

I got Mae's room number and made my way to her room.

Her eyes were closed and then she opened it and looked at me. She gave me a disgusted look.

"What are you doing here?" She crossed her arms.

"Why did you lie to Ben?"

"I didn't say anything to him" she looked outside the window.

"You're such a cunning little bitch you know"

"um excuse me?" She scoffed "seriously, 'cunning little bitch'? Look who's talking"

"Why are you doing this? What do you get from this? You know Ben will never love you"

"I know. I just want you to know how it feels to not get attention from someone you love" she added "doesn't feel good right"

"This is not right Mae"

"Then what is? Kissing my boyfriend and then making him break up with me is?!" She yelled. "He finally told me that he loves me! I've been waiting for that moment forever. AND THEN YOU HAD TO RUIN IT AGAIN! What have I ever done to you? Why do you keep ruining my relationship with Ben!"

I kept quiet.

"Why is everyone so in love with you?? Tell me your secret Lea. Did you do some witch craft stuff to them?!"

"Why don't you ask them?"

"All they'll say is 'because she's beautiful'. I don't get it. You're not that pretty to be honest. I don't get why Hunter and Ben are so madly in love with you"

Ouch.

"You and Hunter were such a sappy couple"

"Don't talk about Hunter"

"Kinda glad that he died so that you can grow old alone" she adds "with cats" and smiled.

Okay that's it. I've had enough with her.

I walked straight to her bed and my palm meets her cheeks as soon as someone opened the door. Ben.

His face looked shocked. I looked at Mae and she was crying. Fucking fake bitch.

"Get out" he yelled.

"I....can explain" my voice was shaky.

He ran over to Mae and touched her cheek. Mae sobbed in his palm.

"It's not what it looks like" I tried to explain.

"I SAID GET OUT" he screamed.

"Let me explain" I begged.

"NO. I do not want to listen to you or see you!" He was patting Mae's back. "I can't believe you actually did that" he added.

"I..." He cuts me off. "Go away" he said "please"

Fine.

I turned around and Annie walks inside.

"What the hell just happened?" Annie asked "I heard screaming and shouting"

I looked back a Ben and Mae. Ben was comforting Mae.

"Watch out for Regina George in sheep clothing" I said to her and walked out with shame.