Chap. 24: Expecting a Miracle

(Picture of Renee Asberry wearing boyfriend's hoodie Above)

            My leg bounces with anxiety. Evan and I both agreed to keep our engagement a secret until next weekend. But it's kind of hard when the two people I want to tell most are sitting right beside and in front of me. God, this is going to be hell.
            "So how was the date?" Renee raised her eyebrow, "Did Austin steal a kiss or two?"
            "Was he a gentleman?" I say sharply, protective.
              Lucy chuckles at us, blushing pink. "It was amazing. Austin got us both a pork steak topped with grilled pineapples and red peppers. It was soooooooo good! Austin then took me to a club and well—he taught me how to dance."
                 I smile at the thought. I didn't know how to dance on my first date either, but I hope Austin doesn't do what Evan did.
                   "He didn't kiss me goodnight and he didn't walk me to the door either." That boils my water.
                   "What an asshole!" I exclaim, getting looks from people around us in the cafe.
                    "BUT Austin did text me this morning and asked if I was free Tuesday afternoon." Lucy squeals happily.
                   Both Renee and I cheer for. Lucy has finally had her first date. I'm so proud. As I take a sip of my milk, Renee gives me a mischievous look.
                    "What?" I smile.
                   "So, how was Anniversary night?" Renee says playfully.
                    Great. Amazing. The best night of my life so far. But I can't tell them that.
                    "Evan made me dinner and we ended up screwing on the couch." Half a lie, he did make me a nice dinner.
                    Renee rolls her eyes. Pff! Men."
                      "So, your next date huh?" I say to Lucy, "Where are you going? What's should I do with your hair this time?"
                        "Well, I'm not sure. Surprise me!" Lucy is a blushing mess, "He's taking me to Outback."
                    "Fancy." Renee rolls her eyes as she takes a sip of her drink.
                    I pick my drink up and hold it in the air. "Cheers for Lucy getting a date!"
                   Both Renee and Lucy raise their drinks to mine. They repeat after me, happy and tired as I am.
                   "Cheer, Cheers!" We all exclaim happily.
                   As we take a drink, I can't help but notice that something is completely off with Renee. She's withdrawn and more quiet than usual. Usually she's ranting about Brenton or her mother and stepfather or One Direction. And she's wearing baggy clothing instead of her usual tight top and skinny jeans. I put my drink down.
                    "Renee, what's wrong with you? You've been quiet the entire time we've been here." I say concerned.
                    Suddenly, Renee breaks down unto tears. My first thought goes to Brenton. That Son of a Bitch must broke our friends heart. I get out of the booth and hug Renee as she cries. Lucy grabs her hand and doesn't let go.
                  "Is it Brenton? Did you guys break up?" Lucy says concerned.
                   "I'm gonna break that fuckers jaw like Adonis did in Creed!" I growl.
                  "It-It—it's not Brenton." Renee cries, "I'm pregnant."
                 Both Lucy and I go agap at What we just heard. Renee is pregnant?  Like, as in, going to have a baby? We all say nothing for a while, Renee continues to bawl her eyes out.
                   "I'm not ready to be a mother." Her voice cracks, "Brenton got up and walked out and didn't come back until 4 in the morning."
                     "Was he drunk?" I ask
                 Renee shakes her head. "He got a car seat and a crib."
                 My heart melts at the sound of that. I was expecting some other shit like he left her.
                  "Brenton asked me to marry him this morning." I wipe her tears away, "I'm so scared."
                    "It's going to be okay." I shush her, "We'll get through it."
                     "I didn't even want kids!" Renee cries out, putting her head down.
                    Lucy and I exchange an awkward look. I try to think of something to say. Anything.
                  "You can give it to me and Evan. He told me he wants ALOT of kids." I wince at the thought, "Damn."
                "Renee, kids are a blessing." Lucy says encouragingly, "I'm happy for you and Brenton."
                 "I am too." I say half heartedly, Renee really didn't want kids. "You're expecting a miracle now, Honey."