{34}✔️

Dahlia's POV
************

For a while, I felt like I was in heaven. That nap had really made me feel refreshed, despite the fact that I'd only gotten two hours of sleep. When I woke up, Billie was standing in front of me holding a tray full of delicious looking food, and apple juice. She'd insisted on feeding me, and I didn't argue that much because I thought it was cute. I insisted on feeding her too, and she made it a point to make funny faces and bite down too hard on the fork. My ribs hurt from laughing just as much as they hurt from the beating I'd received some hours ago.

"Fill out this form and then we can release you." The nice nurse told me, handing me a clipboard as she smiled sympathetically at me.

After the amazing breakfast, Billie made me put some sweat pants on and stuck to her word. She drove me to the hospital and they checked me out, making sure I didn't have a concussion or any cracked ribs. Thankfully, I didn't.

I'm just gonna be in pain for a while, but I should feel better in a week or two, especially with the medicine they prescribed me. They also gave me an excuse so I can stay out the rest of this week.

My teachers are gonna be pissed that I'm missing yet another full week, and I'll most certainly be taking all my exams this year rather than getting to be exempt, but I don't care. I'm just glad I don't have to go back to school and face anyone for a while.

They didn't make me tell them who'd done this to me, even though they really wanted me to, and so did Billie. I'm grateful for that. I really do want to handle this on my own. I don't know how I will just yet, but I know that I will.

"Do you want me to take you home after this or do you want to come back to the house?" Billie asked softly as she ran her fingers through my hair.

"Your house. I'll text my family cause I know they're worried, but I can't tell them about this right now."

"I'll let you spend the night." She smiled. "I don't want you to go home. I don't want you to leave my house, like, ever, but you have to after today. You need to talk to them and tell them what happened."

I sighed and nodded before leaning my head on her shoulder. "Are you okay?" I asked quietly.

"You got jumped, not me."

"You know what the fuck I mean." I grumbled.

She laughed. "Wow, the Cadence in you really jumped out then." She's right. Cadence really does say that a lot. I need to text the twins too. "I'm okay..." she bit her lip before letting out a small sigh, her eyes not looking away from the oh so interesting ground. I pushed her hair out of her face and stared at her, waiting for her to speak. She didn't for a while, so I began to fill out the form the nurse had given me.

Once it was completed and I'd given it back to her, they told me I was free to go. Billie and I rode the elevator down to the first floor, found her car, got in it and started driving. She didn't say a word the whole time, and I didn't either.

I leaned my head against the window and was almost drifting to sleep when she finally did say something.

"I shouldn't have let them do that to you." Her voice was strained and I knew without even looking at her that she was crying. "I just want to protect you from everything, but I fucking suck at that, clearly."