Chapter 57: Breaking Free

Tris POV:

I'm starving! My stomach hurts so much, I'm starting to think about eating one of my fingers.

Maybe the ring finger, because I don't use it as much as the others. But I need for my wedding ring. 

I sigh, maybe I could put the ring on the right, and eat the one on the left. Yeah, guess I could do that.

No. I won't eat my finger! It's ridiculous! But I need to eat something, or at least drink something...

I'm scared of falling asleep, and never waking up again.

But I can't help it...I am so weak.

My eyes start closing slowly and it doesn't matter how hard I try to open them back again, I can't. 

* * *

I wake up with a loud bum.

The rush of adrenaline gives me strenght enough to stand up. My ears are ringing.

One of the walls is blown away, there's a lot of smoke, which causes me to cough for a while.

What's going on?

I try to see through the smoke, but it's impossible.

Finally I can hear other coughs and I identify certain silhouette that's getting closer. 

I smile. Tobias. He came. He came to save me.

 “Tris”, he says excited before running to me for a tight hug.

I enjoy the embrace closing my eyes. I don’t know how long it lasts but it hurts, my body, I mean, it hurts.

“Not hugs for us?”, I hear someone say. Christina.

I pull away from Tobias to hug my best friend, and that’s when I see all of them. Zeke, Shauna, Uriah, Matthew, Cara and Christina. 

They smile at me and I hug them all, ignoring the pain.

The smoke, now gone, we start leaving. Tobias’ arm around my waist as we walk, he whispers to me, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Tris, I love you”

I turn to look at him and whisper, “I love you too”, before I kiss him.

“Let’s go eat something, so you can tell us the whole story”, Uriah says.

“Yeah, we want to know everything”, Shauna agrees. 

And I agree more than everyone. “Perfect, because I’m starving!”, Zeke says.

I smile, “me too”.

While we are getting out I see Molly’s body laying on the ground. I don’t know how to feel about it.

I mean, yeah, I wanted her gone. But I don’t know, I knew her, I shouldn’t be happy about it, but not sad either. I really don’t know how to feel. Guess I’m not really feeling anything right now. At least now we’ll have peace. 

We are half the way when I can’t keep going on, it hurts so much, I’m too weak. I fall to the ground and black out after the world spins around me.

* * *

I woke up, opening my eyes slowly.

First I notice they are all here, so I probably didn’t black out for that long.

Second, we’re at the infirmary, a place I have get to know very well.  

“How long?”, I ask them. They are all looking at me, which makes me feel uncomfortable. I hate being the center of attention.

“Two hours”, Cara says from the corner.

I’m about to ask what happened but Tobias reads my mind. “You black out, we brought you here, the doctor affirmed what Matthew and Cara deduced earlier, that you were literally starving, they put you this thing,” he touches a tube that’s connected to my hand, “and you know the rest".

I nod, “Sorry guys for ruining the plans, you didn’t had to wait for me, thanks. Oh! And thank you for saving me! i really don’t know what I would do without you”

They all smile gently at me. “We love you too, Tris”, Chris hugs me. She’s such a hugger.

“When can I get out?”, I ask.

“Couple of days,” Matthew says, “no more than a week, no less than five days”

Ugh, I want to leave now! All I want is to go home. “Get me out of here”, I ask them.

They laugh, “we can’t”, Tobias winks at me.

“But we can eat here, no problem”, Uriah says excited of eating something. We agree, so Uriah, Zeke and Shauna leave for food.

“I’m glad you’re okay, Tris”, Chris says.

“Oh, don’t get all emotional on me, I’m fine.” Chris laughs and takes a sit on the left side of my bed. “Matthew! Cara! I haven’t see you in so long! We should meet more frequently and in different…situation”, I tell them.

“I know, right? It’s terrible, I only see you when there’s a problem”, Matthew says, making me realize how much I have miss him. And makes me feel gilty I haven’t thought of him in so long.

“Yeah, it’s awful,” I agree. Cara and I have never really been good friends, so I don’t know what to tell her, but I don’t want to left her out of this after she just helped me.  “You too, Cara, we should meet more often. I haven’t see you in so long”

She just smiles, “yeah”.

They get back with lots of food, they eat while I tell them my story, and Tobias tells them his. His story is crazy! He did all that for me? I thought I couldn’t love him more, but I do. I love how he doesn’t gives up on us. On me. How he is willing to do all that for me. 

Maybe he’s not perfect, but he’s perfect for me. And I can’t wait for us to be together, forever.