Chapter 22

Sam stood there and looked at the beauty before him with a pleading look on her face. She seemed so worried that he believed it was true. Outside, Sam was cool as ice. But inside, he was secretly scared that there was a bit of truth. He remembered what Noah told him and that was the tiny part that took over his mind most of the day.

Now all thoughts of the so-called news went out the window as she stood at his doorstep. "Come in." He told her while he stepped aside to let her in. Sam took Mercedes' entire look in. She was dressed in a pair of faded blue jeans that looked painted on. And a 'Black Girls Rock' t-shirt. Her feet were covered in a pair of custom-made Jimmy Choos that were black with faded jean blue on the design. Her hair was in its natural curly state and pulled into a single ponytail.

He felt his heart slam against his chest as he closed the door without looking at her. When she turned around and her brown eyes held embarrassment and fear, one thought popped into his head. He was falling in love with Mercedes Jones. "Sam." Mercedes began to say while walking back towards him. "You gotta believe me. I just woke up and learned of this. We smiled at the cameras on the red carpet. Then Noah had to make appearances at a few after-parties. Then I got tired and went home. Alone. That's it."

Sam narrowed his green eyes in concentration as he looked down at her. "I believe you. Even Lauren and San figured you probably didn't know about this." He said. " My sister and mother are worried. My brother is in disbelief. And my dad knows this an unfounded rumor." Mercedes' eyes went wide. "Oh, no. I'll call your family and let them know personally." She said before Sam reached out to gently touched her face. "But why come over here to tell me?" He asked her in a soft tone. "I mean, why not just go tell the world first?"

Mercedes looked up and saw a humble look on his face that made her heartache. "Because you matter to me. That's why. You're important to me and before I talked to anyone else, I needed to explain to you." She replied. Sam leaned in and let his mouth hover over hers. "Why am I important to you, Mercedes?" He whispered to her.

She looked at his pillowy, pink lips before hers before she glanced back up at his eyes. They were twinkling like shiny Emeralds while his hand moved from her face to her hair. "I-I-I." She stuttered and began to lightly tremble. Sam watched her mouth slightly open and knew he had to just take a chance.

He placed his other hand on the other side of the head before letting his mouth landed on hers. Their eyes closed at the same time as the kiss began. He kissed her passionately, letting his tongue dance with hers. Mercedes' arms automatically went up and around his neck, causing her to tiptoe even in her high heels. His hands went down from her hair and her back before sliding on her ass.

Her hands moved up from his neck and into his hair. When Mercedes moaned some, Sam squeezed his closed eyes tighter, then mentally groaned before pulling away. He opened his eyes to see her eyes still closed and her mouth slightly open and still in the kiss position. Sam watched the natural sexy look on her face and knew that Mercedes Jones would be the true death of him. But what a way to go. He thought to himself.

Mercedes opened her eyes and closed her mouth before frowning. "Why did you stop, Sam?" She asked. "I know we kissed before, but that was deeper. So, was I bad at it?" It was Sam's turn to frown before he reached to caress her cheek and shake his head. "No, baby. You were great. You are great. But we're friends and -." He stopped himself from finishing the sentence.

She nodded in agreement before she shrugged. "Yeah, you're right. I'm not good enough-." She told him before stepping back. Sam made a face and pulled her close before he looked in her eyes. "Stop that sentence now." He told her. "You are more than good enough, Mercedes Jones. You are everything I would dream of. Would want. And that I need. But I'm not good enough for you. You are this mega superstar that is loved and known worldwide. I'm just a nobody model that has made a decent living and was put out to retire in my 20s."

Mercedes began to tear up at Sam's heartfelt admission while he continued. "Thanks to you, I have a second chance at a career. And even though I'm a newbie in your world, I feel a deep connection to you. I know I'm not good enough for you yet. But I promise I will work my way up to completely deserving you, Ms. Mercedes Tamara Jones. Someday, you'll be proud to be by my side."

Jean Baptiste sat in his office happily reaping celebrity news rewards after last night. He was in the middle of planning the next part of getting Noah and Mercedes back together. Maybe even married. He paused and grinned at wondered how to make that happen when Noah burst through the door. "Jean, really?" Noah yelled before tossing the gossip magazine with him and Mercedes on the cover. "I know this has you all over it!" He said in anger.

"You're welcome, Noah," Jean said, hanging up the phone and sitting back proud. "I thought that you would be shaking my hand and giving out cigars over this news. The woman that should have been your wife and mother of your kids is that close to being yours again."

"Not like this, J," Noah said frustrated before sitting down at Jean's desk. "Cedes has a lot on her plate right now. Especially with her brother, Christian. Then there's this new guy she's friends with and his ex hurt her." Jean sat up, intrigued, and cut his friend off. "What guy? Who's the ex? What happened with her brother?"

Noah went over the news of Christian and his daughter. And meeting Sam Evans, the ex of the famous Rachel Berry. Jean sat there, smirking, and nodded. He just figured out how to plan on getting Mercedes and Noah back together and possibly down the aisle.