Chapter 13

Two days later, Mercedes sat in Lauren's office as she quietly read the results of baby Tamara's DNA results. At the bottom of the paper's information in bold print, it stated that with a certainty of Paternity of 100 %, Christian Jones is the biological father of Tamara Julia Jones. She glanced to her see her name also in bold print. It showed she was the biological aunt of the baby girl.

She began to tear up while she continued to focus on the paper. Her hands shook the results as she remembered that went home and grabbed all of the stuff he left the last time he blew through town. Mercedes brought it with her to the DNA lab she had Lauren and Emma go to.

They swabbed the inside of mother's and baby's cheek before taking the items Mercedes had of Christian's. She even had them swab her cheek because if her estranged brother tries to say that the test was fixed the proof that she may be related would quiet him down. And now she has the proof.

"Mercedes?" Lauren softly called to her after walking back into her office. "Mercedes? Here's Emma's cell phone number." She said, handing her a business card. Mercedes didn't remember taking the card. She barely heard what Lauren said. She got in her car and made sure to focus on getting home safe.

Sam walked up to Santana while she was discussing business with Terri Del Monico, the owner, and creator of A-List Magazine. He was dressed in a crisp Donna Karen silver suit and forty thousand dollar dress shoes. He stepped up to see Santana looking pissed. "Terri, what possessed you to want to do this spread?" She asked in frustration.

"Santana, you know that Sam and Rachel were the hottest things once upon a time," Terri stated. "And we all know that every time they graced a magazine or a show, they made everyone money." Sam stood next to Santana, who made a face at Terri's statement. "Who's we?" Santana asked.

Just then Sue Sylvester walked up with Rachel Berry. "Terri and I are we," Sue stated. "Sue Sylvester," Santana mumbled with a growl before looking over to see another person she couldn't stand. "Rachel Berry."

"Hello, Santana," Sue stated. "Rachel was given this shoot and wanted me to come up with an idea to make her shine. Terri and I glanced back at the best covers she ever had. And guess which ones we saw were the top money makers?"

"Yes, we did some great work together." Rachel said, stepping up to Sam. "Didn't we, Sam." Sam looked down at Rachel. She had her hair pinned up with ringlets around her head. Her three-inch heels matched her red, satin, strapless dress. He watched her decorated hands moved slinky up and down the center of his chest.

Sam narrowed his eyes at his ex and could see her devious ways began to creep up to the surface just like old times. He shook his head and removed her hand before he spoke up. "That was in the past, Rachel. Let's just get this over with."

Sam and Rachel went over to the set and started to take direction in their poses and attention to the camera. By the second hour, the photographer let them take a break while he went over with Terri which pictures would be chosen from what they had so far.

Santana watched as Sam tried to get away from Rachel. And how Rachel was trying to latch onto him like a leech to a bloody wound. She began to growl again and was about to go over and give Miss Berry a piece of her mind when her phone rang.

She pulled it out of her purse and looked to see it was Lauren Zizes calling. Santana answered it on the fourth ring while she looked back towards Sam and Rachel. "Zizes, what's up?" She asked into the phone.

Santana's face began to change as she listened to Lauren relate what's been going on the last few days. She started to nod even though the woman couldn't see her. "Okay. I'll make sure he gets there. Bye." She hung up before storming over to Sam and Rachel arguing. "Sam, we need to go," Santana told him, cut the conversation off.

Rachel made a face at Santana scoffed. "Excuse me? Sam and I are talking, Santana. This is none of your business." Santana stood in between Rachel and Sam, letting her eyes fill with disgust, and focused on the woman. "Well, Sam has more important business to attend to. In fact, he has an emergency. You have enough pictures. We need to go!" She yelled.

Sam, being concerned at his best friend's expression made him turn her around towards him. "San, what's wrong?" He asked with worry. "Sam, that was Zizes. Mercedes needs you." Santana said with sadness. That's all Sam needed to hear before he loosened his tie and stormed off with Santana in tow.

The yelling from everyone else calling the two of them fell on deaf ears. Santana caught up to Sam and filled him in while they headed to her car.

Mercedes felt numb the entire way home. She was in robot mode while she went through taking a shower and getting dressed in a pair of leggings and an over-sized Kentucky t-shirt Sam left one day he stayed over. Lying in bed, thinking of the shirt made her think of Sam. Suddenly, she wished he was there with her.

"I'm here, Mercy. I'm here." He told her before he climbed in bed with her. She didn't realize that she had said that out loud. And she didn't know when he had appeared but she was so glad. He held her against what seemed like an expensive shirt before he gave her a big bear hug.

That gesture made Mercedes tear up again. Sam softly shushing mixing in with him saying that he was there for her, made the silent tears break into heart-wrenching sobs. "Sam!" She said in a tone that broke him inside. "After losing mama and daddy the way we did, how could he just abandon his baby girl?" Sam remained quiet and let her continue. "I would give anything to have my daddy back and Chris tossed that baby to the side like she didn't matter. Like I didn't matter." She told him.

Sam knew this was very personal for her. Each time he got to know about her big brother, the more he hated him. He mentally promised himself and her that he will help her and be there for her through it all. For Sam had a feeling that now the news of Christian's baby daughter is for real, he'll be blowing into town soon. Mercedes told him that it takes either him needing something or some really bad news for him to come around.

He closed his eyes and continued to hold her tight, ready to brace the storm about to come their way.