Chapter 5

Sam spent the rest of that day and the next waiting for Mercedes Jones to call him. By later part of the afternoon, he knew he had been stood up, so to speak. He knew she was probably going to take her time in deciding, but not even a text. Sam dialed a number on his smartphone and waited for someone to answer. "Hey, Artie. It's Sam Evans. I need help with something." He said into the line.

Mercedes and Unique just nail salon feeling relaxed. She had a mani and a pedi thanks to dreaming about Sam Evans massaging her feet a couple of nights ago. Since that night and what Finn told her yesterday, she really doesn't want to get to know Sam Evans in any way, shape, or form. Although his form isn't that bad looking. She shook her head at the thought to see that she and Unique were still standing on the sidewalk. Unique was busy finishing up a call as she smiled brightly.

"What's up, girlie?" Mercedes asked before they walked to Unique's car. "Planning a hot date?" Unique nodded as she adjusted her purse. "Yup, but not for me. For you." She admitted, causing Mercedes to stop in her tracks. "What? With whom?" Mercedes asked in shock.

Unique paused at her car and turned to face her dearest friend. "With that tasty Sam Evans. It seems someone who shall remain nameless, Mercedes Jones, never called him back and he's on his way." She admitted. Mercedes shook her head and headed for the passenger side but Unique blocked her before she could even get to the other side. "Uh-Uh. Nope. We will stand here until he arrives to take you out. And yes as you are dressed. In your jeans, goddess blouse, and Jimmy Choos Miss Thang. Because I told him you may run and hide." Unique smiled.

Mercedes couldn't believe this was happening until she heard a cab pull up next to them. Sam got out and held the door open for her. "Hi, Mercedes." He smiled at her. She looked from Sam to Unique who waved at them both. "Bye, Mercedes. Treat her right, Sam." She stated before getting in her car and preparing to drive off.

With a deep sigh, Mercedes turned back to Sam and nodded before getting in. "Let's get this over with so we can begin to shoot the first video." She told him. Sam shook his head lightly before he told the driver where to go.

Mercedes kept her head down the entire ride and was deep into her smartphone. Sam would glance at her and noticed that every time he focused on her, she would look so bored. He lightly shook his head and thought to himself he had his work cut out for him. She was in her own world by the time the taxi came to a complete stop. "We're here." The cabbie stated. "Thanks," Sam said as he fished out two twenty dollar bills.

"Keep the change." He said when he noticed the ride was just thirty dollars. Mercedes glanced up from her phone when she felt Sam move away. Her brown eyes stared at him as he got out and held the door open for her. She put her phone in her purse before she slid across the backseat and climbed out. Sam took her hand leading her out before he closed the door.

"Ready?" He asked her with a smile. Mercedes glanced from his face to where they were. Her eyes went wide and her Burgundy colored lips fell open at the shock of what she was staring at. "Are we at the mall?" She said with shock and attitude. "Who in the hell, besides teenagers, goes to the mall on a date?" She asked, looking at him.

Sam stood there and shoved his hands in his pockets before he cleared his throat. "This is the Mall at Short Hills. It's one of the best malls around the area. Although, New York isn't really famous for malls. If you get away from the city, you can find pretty interesting places to go to." He told her before letting a smirk slowly spread across his full, pink lips. "Who said we were on a date?"

Mercedes looked confused while trying to come up with the right answer. "I-I thought Unique said that you said this was a date." She stated. Sam continued to smirk and shook his head lightly. "Nope. I called Artie to tell me who to call who had your number. He gave me Unique's number and she was with you right then. I called her and told her I needed her to keep you there. That way we can finally get together to get to know each other. That's all."

Mercedes was surprised at Unique thinking it was a date. "Oh." She mumbled as she mentally thought to herself to ask her friend what made her think that. Sam watched Mercedes deep in thought before he leaned in and spoke softly. "But if it means you finally taking the attitude down several notches and get to know me, then you can think of this as a date. You know to ease your mind."

She scoffed before flipping her hair off her right shoulder then rolling her neck. "Please, I am not desperate for dates. Nor do I have an attitude. I just don't like being forced to do something against my will." Sam's brows went up at the same time he pulled his hands out of his pockets to hold them up. "Hey, Ms. Jones, I don't force anyone to do anything. And I don't force any woman to be with me in any way that they don't want to be. So, if I am wasting your precious time then you can call a cab and go home."

Mercedes stood there watching Sam go from playful to hurt and insulted as he continued talking. "I just want to get to know you so we can get through this job. I just want to work and get paid. Not date you, marry you or what else you think I want from you. Don't flatter yourself, baby. You're not even my type." He said before he started to walk towards the mall entrance.

She couldn't believe he actually talked to her like that. Mercedes then froze at remembering the last thing he said. "I'm not his type. What?" She said before she went after him. "Wait. Sam! Wait!" She said as she lightly ran in her heels. Sam was at the doors when he turned to see her trying to catch up in those ridiculously expensive shoes that women the world overkill to pay for and wear.

He kept his hand on the door as his face remained blank. "What?" He asked her in a curt tone. She finally was standing back in front of him and had a look of disbelief. Her expensive, oversized purple handbag hung from her left hand while her right hand rested on her right hip. "Did I hear you right? I'm not your type? Honey, I'm everyone's type."

Sam rolled his eyes as he couldn't believe this woman. Really, this was all she heard. "No, Ms. Mercedes Jones, Diva extraordinaire. Ms. Billion dollar voice. You are not my type. If I am the wrong one for this job let me know. I can call my agent and find work elsewhere." He said before he sighed deeply then opened the door. "You have two choices, Ms. Jones. Come with me or walk away."

Mercedes stared at him holding the door open before she spoke. "What's going to happen?" Sam looked down at her and let his expression soften some. "If you walk away, then this is the last time we'll see each other. I'll call Artie and tell him thanks but no thanks. But if you come with me, the possibilities are endless."