CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Atlanta, GA
November 28th, 2019

Maci King

"Hey, sorry I took forever I just thought it would've made so much sense we all drove in one car rather than taking a separate vehicle

"Hey, sorry I took forever I just thought it would've made so much sense we all drove in one car rather than taking a separate vehicle. But I made all of the side dishes you asked me to bring at home so no worries."
I was caught off-guard because there was a strange guy sitting on the stairs. He got up walking straight to me, holding his hand out. "Sup I'm Cas, Kendal's brother."

I grabbed his hand to shake it but paused once I heard that name roll off his tongue."KENDAL, " I turned my body back towards Jessie. "He said Kendal right? as in your baby daddy Kendal."

"Yeah, girl so what, he's just here to get to know Nathan, just chill," she said so nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes at her because she was aggravating me already. "You telling the wrong person to chill, actually here he comes 3...2....1."

"In here smell so go...," Nick couldn't even finish his sentence once his eyes landed on the stranger that was in the house. "Um what's going on Jess, ain't this the same dude that was hanging out on your porch the other day. I thought you said he wasn't gonna be coming back here."
I was gonna step in but I left this one to play by air, it was about time Jessie got put on the spot because lately she's been acting like she was better than everybody. Like she made no mistakes and things were going so perfect for her.

"Can we talk in the other room, I don't wanna argue with you in front of him," Jessie whispered into Nick's ear.

I really didn't care that they went into the other room to talk because Nick was gonna tell me what they talked about either way.

I had put the girls down so that they could go play with their cousin while I chat it up with this random. "Sorry if I put you on the spot just now but I'm Maci," we tried shaking hands once again. "I don't mean to be forward, wait you know what I do. Why are you here? I mean as far as I know your brother and Jessie ain't been talking that long neither was he in Nathan's life for one of his family members to come step in as if he was taking care of his kid."

"MACI, you really don't need to speak for me I could speak for myself, Nick talk to her, " Jessie came walking into his defense.

"Nah she's right I mean I don't see his reason for being here either, Nathan doesn't need no more father figures in his life he got me and besides, this a family dinner had I known we were bringing outsiders I would've brought somebody." I cocked my head into his direction cause I mean who the hell else he was gonna bring but that was a battle for another day.

"Nick we just talked about that just now, you guys need to back off. You don't see me budding in on your lives, I mean damn if I knew this how the dinner was gonna be before it even started I wasn't gonna go forward with having it at my house."