CHAPTER FOURTY-TWO

July 12th, 2020
1:00am
Atlanta, GA

Maci King

My body was numb standing there and seeing the news, it was no way possible that was Jessie in that car

My body was numb standing there and seeing the news, it was no way possible that was Jessie in that car. I was there and when I left it was surrounded by police, this shit couldn't be true. "This can't be real, I know what I saw and it wasn't a fire, it wasn't a dead body, just cops after we found her car sitting there in the parking lot with the back door open. I think he just wants us to stop looking for her."

Nick was in tears, and when I look closer into his eyes those tears were turning into anger as he turned and faced me. "You know all of this is your fucking fault right, you was the first to know what went down and all you should've done was come to us before taking things into your own hands." Hearing him say that hurt my feelings but I know he was only saying it because he was angry, I just wasn't about to stand there and let him hold me accountable for Jessie's death even if it was true. I pulled Vanny into the family room, as her body just was in shock mode but mine, mine was ready to go to war.

"I need you to watch the kids while I go handle something, that shit on the tv is all a lie, I don't believe nothing they're saying and I'm gonna find my sister tonight her and the kids, and they all will be alive and unharmed I just know it."

"Maci what the hell you gonna do, you see how powerful Kendal is for yourself, you really think you could handle him alone. I'm coming with you, the guys will just have to be the ones to watch them." I wasn't okay with her coming behind me because I was already getting accused of Jessie.

"Ok, but we can't tell them nothing, I have an idea and I know it's gonna work. We just need to go back where it all happened in order for this plan to work." I walked out the front door without anybody noticing my absence, I know Nick didn't want anything to do with me right now so it wouldn't even matter. I pulled my car slowly out of the driveway and onto the sidewalk, "come on Vanny hurry up before someone sees you," I said to myself while tapping my fingers on the steering wheel and checking my surroundings. My attention was caught by the bathroom window on the first floor opening up, it was so funny seeing Vanny hop out of it. I was surprised that I had some kind of humor left in me during this most difficult time we all were facing. I watched as Vanny crept across the lawn to my car, "girl why didn't you just come through the front door like a normal person, nobody was going to notice you," I said.

"Well, Roddy was calling me to get Roxanne and also because I just wanted to."

I wasn't gonna stay there in front of that house a minute longer to get caught by any of the guys. "Van please don't punk out on me tonight, I hope you came behind me with an open mind and ready for war."

"Girl, have I ever punk out on you as long as we have known each other? No, so I ain't gonna start today."

I was punching 135 on a 75mph highway, staying alert of cops or unmarked cars along the roadside. The good part was that the hospital wasn't that far away from Roddy's house, I just didn't want to waste any time trying to get there. I overtook every car that I felt was driving miss daisy in front of me, "girl what the hell slow down, you might get us pulled over before we could get where we trying to go," Vanny said while grabbing her seatbelt and quickly putting it on.