TYRION I

"That was quite the outburst our queen had the other night," Tyrion said as he poured himself another class of wine.

"Ah, yes. It was rather shocking, I do admit. But it makes a great deal of sense — and a great deal of problems," Varys replied nonchalantly. They were sitting in Tyrion's office discussing Jon's heritage their Queen unexpectedly made common knowledge.

Tyrion took another sip. "We can try to keep it quiet. Jon Snow doesn't seem too proud of his new identity either," he offered, but Varys made a face.

"My friend — you know as well as I that whispers travel," Varys reminded him. "The entire realm will know his identity whether if it was from our Queen or a commoner."

Tyrion shook his head. "But he bent the knee to her," he insisted.

I know Jon Snow, and he would never back down on his word.

"Yes, he did," Varys acknowledged, but Tyrion knew he wasn't finished. "But that was as Jon Snow, not Aegon Targaryen. Jon Snow didn't have a claim to the throne, but Aegon Targaryen does."

I hate it when he's right.

"He doesn't want it. He's already made that very clear. He hated being King in the North," Tyrion countered. It was as if Tyrion was trying to make himself believe his own words in addition to his friend across from him.

But Varys wasn't buying it. "This is true, but I'm afraid that's not what his sister — and your former wife — wants. If she tells the north his identity they will either want him as king or discard him as King in the North and choose Sansa as their queen," Varys reminded him. "And we both know Sansa Stark is not fond of our queen."

Tyrion sighed as he knew his friend was unfortunately right again. "Yes, but there's a bigger war going on than just a bunch of noble houses fighting with each other. Sansa Stark has nowhere to match back to. Winterfell has fallen."

"This is true, but what about after the war, my friend?"

Tyrion paused for a moment as he thought. What will we do? Daenerys will not give up the crown she's worked so hard for.

"I just don't believe we should discredit our Queen's claim to quickly. She has spent her entire life working towards the Iron Throne. She wants nothing more than this."

"And that is why I worry for her state of mind. She is the Mad King's daughter," Varys confessed.

Tyrion let out a breath of surprise.

Daenerys Targaryen, the woman I believe in and love, is nothing like her father.

"Well how would you feel after you spent your entire life working towards something, and you almost make it, for it to be taken away at the last moment because that person has a stronger claim by the laws of succession? And that person happens to be the one you love? It would drive anyone insane!"

Varys tilted his head slightly as he pondered the thought. "I do suppose it would be quite upsetting. But the gods are not fair. That's why they're gods."

"I believe my sister said something like that once," Tyrion said with a laugh. "But honestly, what makes tradition a good qualification?"

"I don't know. There are a lot of mysteries in this world, my friend."

Tyrion swallowed as he chewed the inside of his cheek.

Daenerys deserves that throne.

"We could marry them," Tyrion offered. "We both know he loves our Queen."

"She's his aunt," Varys reminded him with a glare.

"That never stopped a Targaryen before," he insisted. This could work.

"No, but Jon grew up in Winterfell. Is marrying your aunt common in the North?"

Tyrion swirled his wine around his glass as he stared at the table in thought. Fuck, he thought. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

After a deep moment of silence and reflection, Tyrion looked up at his friend with pleading eyes. "Jon will do whatever he believes he needs to for peace. If that means marrying his aunt, I believe he will do it."

I need to not just convince Varys, but myself as well.

"It will take a lot of convincing on his part," Varys added. "And what about our Queen? Are we sure she wants this? You know our queen better than I do. Do you think she wants to share the throne?"

"She left with three dragons and came back with two to save him from the dead. Our Queen loves him more than anything. We can confirm, but I believe she'd do anything to marry him," Tyrion said honestly. I see the way they look at each other. And I can also hear them through the walls.

"Very well," Varys agreed as he stood up to leave.

Tyrion cleared his throat as he rested his head against the palm of his hand. "If you do see Jon Snow — do send him my way."

"Of course, my Lord," Varys bowed as he walked towards the door. However, he turned back to look at Tyrion before parting, "But my friend, do be careful. You are dealing with two dragons here. You don't want to get burnt."

Tyrion swallowed as he watched his friend walk away.

I need to find Jon Snow.