JAIME I

The next thing he knew, Jaime was sprinting as fast as he could to reach Cersei before she could do something stupid.

"CERSEI!" he called out as he passed Tyrion. "WAIT!"

He heard the Queensguard turn their weapons to him, but Cersei would never hurt me. He ran through the Mud Gate as quickly as he could and climbed the steps to see her face to face. His heart swelled at the sight of her blonde hair. Although she's evil, a part of me will always love her.

His face relaxed. "Cersei," he said again breathlessly as he began to approach.

He pushed the Queensguard and the pathetic Euron Greyjoy out of his way as he wrapped her in a deep hug. She was tense at first, but soon relaxed in the comfort of his arms.

"I've missed you," he whispered in her ear as he kissed her hair.

He pulled back slightly so he could look her in the eyes. Tears were welling in them and threatening to overspill judging by their glassiness.

"I know what you're about to do," he said desperately as he looked her hands in his. "And don't do it. Cersei, you're better than this. You don't have to do this."

A tear escaped her eye and traveled down her soft face as she looked at him completely broken. She has nothing left to fight for. "You left me," she croaked. "You don't love me anymore."

Jaime shook his head. "That's not true," he said as he cupped her face in his hands. "I will always love you."

He could see Varys, Tyrion and Daenerys staring at him, eyes full of concern. I can do this. I can tame the lion. He grabbed her stomach. "And we can try again," he croaked hopefully. "After the Great War. Once the dead are defeated we can live out our days in Essos like a real family... away from all this bullshit."

But do I really want that? He knew deep in his heart he didn't. The woman he was staring at now was not the same woman he fell in love with all those years ago. The Cersei he loved would never have allowed their baby boy to kill himself.

But he swallowed the doubt to try and save the situation. If I don't stop this now, Daenerys will destroy everything.

Cersei started crying as he wrapped her in an embrace again. He made eye contact with Tyrion and nodded his head. I think I've calmed her down.

"I have no love here. Only fear. And they love her, not me," she sobbed.

She's so broken.

Jaime frowned. "I love you," he emphasized. "And I always will. So, let Varys go, and we can forget all of this."

She looked at him with broken eyes as she moved in to kiss him passionately. He closed his eyes and leaned into it as she wrapped her arms around his neck, but he just couldn't take it. I just don't love her anymore. Feeling his disgust, Cersei backed away.

"Alright then," she said, her expression and voice turning stone cold. "Let it be fear."

And with that, she pushed him away as the Queensguard seized him.

No, no, no.

His eyes widened. "Cersei!" he pleaded, but it was no use.

He watched as she walked stiffly over to Lord Varys, who was still standing in chains at the edge of the gate. Below, Tyrion and Daenerys moved closer, both angry and anxious.

"If you have any last words, now is the time," Jaime heard her whisper in Varys' ear.

Don't do this. She can't do this. She's better than this.

Lord Varys looked from her to Jaime solemnly before turning to face their Queen below them. He saw him gulp as he prepared to utter his last words.

Varys' face turned stone cold; his anxiety ceasing. "Valar morghulis," he said bravely.

Jaime's eyes widened as he saw Tyrion mouthing, "No!" from below. The world seemed to stop for a moment as he watched the Mountain draw his sword. Jaime started yelling in protest as the Queensguard held him back.

"CERSEI!" he screamed desperately with tears beginning to roll down his face. "DON'T DO THIS!"

But the woman he loved was long gone. And with one last sinister smile, she looked at Jaime before giving the nod. He watched in horror as the Mountain's sword swung high above his head and came crashing down on Varys' neck.

All he saw next was red as blood splattered everywhere as Lord Varys' lifeless body went crashing down to the sand below him. The head rolled on the floor with blood still gushing out of it as Jaime looked in shock.

He watched as Cersei looked down at what she did and smiled, completely satisfied. Next to him, Euron looked pleased as Jaime fought to break free. He caught them off guard and escaped down the stairs he previously ran up by punching them in the face. It gave him just enough time to reach the sand that Daenerys was standing on so he could go back to Dragonstone with them.

Upon reaching the sand, he saw tears streaming down Tyrion's face as he turned around, completely dejected. Behind him, Jaime watched Daenerys walk away, struggling to contain her grief and anger as Ser Davos just stood in total shock. Looking at his brother, they shared a common expression: we failed her.

We failed our Queen.