CERSEI V

Cersei Lannister stood at the edge of her balcony overlooking what was once the Red Keep, but now a warzone. She watched as Daenerys Targaryen burnt the surrounding gates of her city with that black beast of hers along with the traitorous Jon Snow on the green one. She scowled herself for not taking him out while she had the chance, but he will pay for it now. Daenerys will have her fun here, but Euron and the Iron Fleet will destroy them.

However, her thoughts were interrupted as an unfamiliar monstrous roar echoed through the sky. She scanned the sky in curiosity just as she saw it — a third dragon. It was always rumored Daenerys Targaryen woke three dragons from stone, but everyone knows she lost one fighting those things beyond the wall. She attempted to examine the beast from her position, but its golden scales blinded her when she stared too hard. She watched it fly around the Red Keep, burning everything in its path with its golden flames, as she noticed it was even larger than the black one Daenerys was riding... where did this beast come from? How is this possible?

Suddenly, a quick, rare glimmer of fear shot through Cersei for in the back of her mind she knew her sellswords stood no chance against three full-grown dragons. And this dragon was reckless... much more than those under control of Daenerys and Jon Snow. It seemed... ancient.

She brushed off the fear as she knew she would never let her kingdom fall. Not after everything I've been through. My father defended this kingdom for years against traitors, and I will not let him down today.

As she got lost more in her thoughts, a familiar voice brought her back into the moment. "Your Grace," Qyburn said softly from behind. She could hear the nervousness in his voice — he's weak. He doesn't know the strength of the lion.

"All we need is one good shot," she spoke crisply.

Qyburn gulped. "The scorpions have all been destroyed, Your Grace. The dragons... the golden one..." he began to plead.

"The Iron Fleet hold Blackwater Bay," she interrupted. I have no time for nonbelievers. "Euron can kill one of her dragons."

Qyburn shook his head in doubt. "Your Grace," he said carefully, "the Iron Fleet is burning. The gates have been breached. The Golden Company—"

Her heart sank. Useless. All of them useless bastards. And to think I trusted Euron... pathetic. The Lannister lions will fight harder than all of them combined.

Cersei swallowed confidently. "Our men will fight harder than sellswords ever could," she spat back at her Hand. "They will defend their queen to the last man."

"Yes, Your Grace," he agreed reluctantly.

I don't need him to believe in this. I know we will win.

"The Red Keep has never fallen," she emphasized coolly. "It won't fall today."

But then, it was as if the world stopped. Silence filled the room as Cersei turned around in curiosity. Have our soldiers taken down the dragons?

She looked out on King's Landing to see the three dragons on top of the broken walls, staring straight at her. She laughed as she realized what was happening.

"They think we're going to surrender," she exclaimed. This little girl doesn't know what's coming for her.

However, echoes of "Ring the bells!" started bouncing off the stone walls as Cersei's heart filled with rage. I will never surrender. I will never ring the bells.

Minutes passed as more and more civilians were pleading for the bells to be rung. She could feel the blood pounding through her veins as the pressure to save the city kept increasing. Cersei could hear Qyburn's pleas to surrender and save herself as the city was a lost cause, but she refused to believe it. The fires burned bright as the overwhelming realization of defeat weighed over Cersei Lannister's mind.

A small tear fell down her cheek. "If I can't have this city, no one will," she said breathlessly. She turned to her loyal Hand as the sadness of defeat manifested into anger... and an overwhelming urge for revenge. "Ready the weapon."

**

Cover art: Cersei and Daenerys by artist Inna Vjuzhanina