San

San rolled his shoulders and dug his claws into the ground as he watched the deer herd. He just needed a small one, just enough to get him through the week.

He saw one grazing at the edge of the herd and he made his way over to her, crouching low in the tall grass. Then he pounced, locking his jaw on the doe's neck and squeezing. She tried to pull away, but San forced her to the ground and shook his head back and forth, snapping her neck.

The rest of the herd was long gone, so he ate his meal in peace.

And alone.

San always ate alone.

He had been abandoned by his back as a pup. Even though he was an alpha, he was the runt of the liter and showed no promise of being a strong, dominant alpha like the pack needed. So they left him behind.

But he vowed he'd prove them wrong. And he did so by surviving.

He taught himself how to hunt, find water and shelter, and interact with humans. A true scavenger, San became a professional at living. And he loved every second of it.

There was no one to tell him what to do or tell him what they expected of him. No one to take care of or hold him back. He was completely free.

San would come across other packs occasionally. If they were friendly, they would interact and he would join them for a hunt or a meal. But if they invited him to stay, he would always respectfully decline, saying he preferred to be by himself.

He would ignore the pity and sadness in their eyes. Most wolves desired to find a mate, wanting nothing more in life. He wasn't like most wolves.

If the pack was not friendly, San would assess the situation and find the best way to avoid them. Some alphas didn't like the idea of a lone alpha being in their territory and would chase him away immediately.

When rumors of a war reached his ears, San traveled in the opposite direction. He didn't care about power. Just his freedom.

He loved watching and interacting with humans too. And they never suspected a thing. He became fluent in several languages and enjoyed staying in human cities when he could. He would occasionally run into another wolf or pack who had taken to living like humans and that always made for an interesting interaction.

Many commented on how he wasn't like most alphas.

And San agreed with them. He was not a typical alpha, and he was ok with that.