35

Hongjoong yawned as he stretched his tense body. Then he opened his eyes and his heart hurt.

Yeosang was sleeping next to him. He had yet to wake up since they had come home... Hongjoong was worried sick and refused to leave his side.

He brought a hand up and ran it through the beta's hair. He watched as Yeosang's eyes darted back and forth under his eyelids as if he was stuck in a nightmare.

"Please. Please wake up..." Hongjoong whispered as he brought Yeosang into his warm embrace.

The beta seemed to shift unconsciously, bringing his nose into the crook of Hongjoong's neck. His wolf stirred in response and wanted more, but Hongjoong would always push him away.

There was a soft knock on the door and Jongho came in carrying a tray with food on it. He had taken over as head alpha while they waited for Yeosang to recover.

Mingi was still hiding out in his room, too ashamed to come out. They all understood and were willing to give him time. Seonghwa spent most of his time in there too.

"Any change today?" Jongho asked, setting the try on the nightstand next to the bed.

"No. But I feel like maybe the nightmares are getting better. I think. It's hard to say." Hongjoong ran his hand through his hair and sat up to take the food tray. "You went hunting?" He asked, seeing that it was a deer stew.

"San and Yunho did. It's not much, but they managed to get one deer for us. They will have to go back out in a couple of days."

Hongjoong hummed and started to eat as he watched Yeosang sleep.

"He's home. Give him some time." Jongho placed a hand on Hongjoong's shoulder. He glanced at the young alpha and gave him a smile. He really admired him. Jongho had proven to be a strong alpha in times of need. "I'm going to go out on patrol soon, but San will be here."

"Thank you." Hongjoong said quietly. Jongho nodded to him before leaving the room.

He finished his meal and set the tray aside before running his hand over Yeosang's arm.

"I miss you, Sangie. I'm sorry you had to go through this... I'm sorry I couldn't protect you when I promised I always would." He closed his eyes and felt a tear run down his cheek. "Look at me," he let out a soft chuckle. "Falling to pieces when I am supposed to be the strong one."

Hongjoong was silent for a long moment. Then he chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Do you remember the last time you tried to be the strong one? Those boys were making fun of me for being such a small pup. They had all decided to gang up on me and chased me out of the main village. You were always so nosy, so you followed." Tears started to mix in with Hongjoong's laughter.

"Anyway, you tried to tell them to back off, which just resulted in them beating you to a pulp and you yelled at them the entire time while they held me down. But you showed me that if someone as shy and sweet as you could stand up to a bunch of stupid kids, then so could I.

"They never messed with us again after that day. You were so brave, and so beautiful. I'm doing the best I can to be brave for you my love. I promise I will continue to stay strong while you recover. I will keep fighting." Hongjoong leaned forward to kiss Yeosang's forehead before he settled next to him again and held him close.

.

.

.

.

San sighed contently as he settled on the couch in the main living room. He had just returned from his turn scouting the territory and was looking forward to relaxing.