Untitled Part 12

I spent the rest of the weekend trying to recover. My body isn't completely recovered I'm still weak, shaky and extremely dehydrated. The worst part is it's an improvement as to how I'd felt. Today is finally Monday me, my aunt, and Dior are on our way to school, my new school I'm defiantly not ready for this.

As I take a much need drink of my water Dior breaks the awkward silence. "Betsy have you heard anything about Dylan seeing someone else behind my back?" I choke and water sprays out of my nose, I wipe off my face with the back of my hand.

"No Dior I haven't." He should be with me because you treat him like crap my subconscious wants to say for me, but I press my lips tight. My aunt glares at me through the rear-view mirror as if she can read my mind. Her forehead creases. I shift in my seat pulling my eyes away from her intense glare.

Cathy puts her attention back on Dior, thank god. "Dior honey Dylan adores you he'd never hurt or embarrass you like that you know he's not that kind of guy. He's probably just focused on school starting soon, you know how he gets about his studies." She pulls her BMW up to a huge brick building.

I scan the lush green lawn through my window, my eyes lock on the building. Nestled on a slight hill stands a red brick building that sprawls out for miles. Rectangle windows lined perfectly around the entire building. The end structures have pitched roofs and right in the middle of the main building is a tall clock tower. I remember how nice the schools were on the drive to my aunt's house, but this is amazing. It looks more like an Ivy League college campus than a normal high school. Attending my last year here might not be so bad after all.

"Here we are girls," Cathy smiles. I climb out of her car in one fluid motion, adjusted my shirt and threw my shoulders back.

As we enter the main doors of the school, we're welcomed by a large school logo on the floor. Black and white checker terrazzo flooring sparkle up and down the multiple hallways. Dark wood traces the corners and door frames. Tall lockers line the walls. We stroll past a few dark oak doors with frosted glass as center pieces. Cathy opens the door marked Counselor that's etched into the frosted glass.

We wait in silence next to a young lady with thin brown hair. Her phone rings, "Yes. Of course." She hangs the phone up, places her palms flat on her desk and rises. "Right this way please." She leads us through a tidy waiting area and opens the door.

Dior stops behind us, "Mom I'll see you in a few." She pivots on her toes and disappears.

The aroma of wood and paper takes over my nose. The only wall without a window is full of books. Her office is spotless and her desk free of clutter. She slightly scoots her laptop to the side, letting her glasses fall and dangle at her chest.

"Nice to see you again Mrs. Wolf." She gives a friendly smile. "This," she gestures towards me, "must be your niece Betsy."

Cathy smiles and nods. "Always a pleasure Mrs. Monroe and yes this is her." She turns to me. "Betsy we'll meet up when your finished." Cathy nudges me further into the office, she takes a few steps out then closes it door behind her. I tug on the hem of my shirt.

"Please Betsy have a seat," Mrs. Monroe points towards two red leather chairs in front of her desk, "let's get started." I cautiously sit and sink into the cushion my eyes barely graze above her desk.

She clears her throat then speaks matter-of-fact voice. "I see from your transcripts you would benefit from our gifted and talented program. As a senior It's all AP college credit classes. You have the grades and your test scores are perfect." I've always wanted to be in a program like this, but my old school didn't offer it. Now all I can think about is will this be intimidating to Dylan. Most guys don't like smart girls for some reason maybe it screws with their ego, I don't know. I mean he is dating Dior and she's about as smart as a third grader. Mrs. Monroe voice brings me back from my inner thoughts. "Betsy what do you think? You should really consider this. This program can open a lot more opportunities for college. Plus, it looks great on your transcripts." I shift in my chair, then sit tall looking up directly at Mrs. Monroe.