Untitled Part 19

Over the past couple weeks, I've been consumed with schoolwork and studying. It's been a good distraction though since Dylan hasn't been around much, and he doesn't text me anymore either. When he did decide to show up to class or sit with us at lunch, he was distant or otherwise preoccupied with Dior draped all over him. He was never mean to me he simply acted as if I was invisible. That hurt more than if he would have been cruel to me.

Laying across my bed my mind wonders back to one day last week when Dylan made one of his rare appearances.

He rushed through the door just as our English Lit teacher was announcing we'd be starting Rumi. This news excited the academic nerd in me, and not much lately excited me. While our teacher was handing out a paper Dylan had leaned close and spoke softly into my ear, 'Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.' He was silent for the rest of class.

Sophia and I were the last to leave class, walking out we saw Dylan leaning against a locker.

We made eye contact, pushes off the locker, "Betsy can I talk to you please."

Sophia grabs my arm, squeezing, "I'll wait for you in our next class." I nod. She dips closer, "are you alright."

I gave her hand a pat, "yeah, I'll see you in class." I turn my attention back to Dylan, his eyes are tired, dull and deeply unhappy. I tilt my head, meeting his penetrating stare. "Dylan are you ok?"

"No." Placing his palm on my cheek. Hello electrical volts, only his touch can jump starts my heart.

I place my hand over his, "Dylan talk to me, what's going on."

His eyes close for a second, taking in a deep breath. "Betsy I'm so sorry everything is so messed up right now."

"Nothing is your fault." He places a finger over my parted lips.

"I did not expect you to come into my life." I gasp. "Shh listen to me please. You walking into my life has flipped it upside down. I have always that these feelings," he waves between us, "were only written for movie scripts and song lyrics, not real feelings. But the way I feel about you is real. I can't and won't live without you, but right now I have to take care of something." Bending down he pressed his full lips against my forehead, "very soon. Please wait for me." He shoves his hands in his pockets, turns and walks away from me. I watch paralyzed until the crowded hallway swallowed him.

Sophia ran to me wrapping her arms around my shoulders. "I couldn't leave you I was standing in the next-door crevasse. I saw his face when he walked away."

"It doesn't matter Sophia he's with her I have to accept that." I wipe tears from my cheeks.

"No Betsy I do not and will not believe you two will never be." I wave my hands. "No not at this moment, but very soon. I believe therefore you have to believe."

"I don't know maybe your right I know our connection is real."

That was the last time he'd spoken to me, also the last time I'd felt electrical volts fire through my body. I crave that feeling, but only he can provide it.

That day when I got home after school, I made my choice. I have to let him go he's with her right now. I believe in the saying, 'if you love something set it free. If it comes back it was meant to be.' I will stay away from him. It's a hard choice, but it has to be done.

It has been an awful week I only leave my room to go to school and when I'm there I don't really talk to anyone anymore. My phone vibrates I glance over its Sophia, I decline the call. My notification pings. Sophia: Betsy I know you declined my call plz call me. I better reply or she'll come over she did it a few days ago. Me: sorry I'm studying. Sophia: no your not. I'm coming to get you get dressed we are going shopping and I won't take no for an answer.

Ugg, I toss my phone on my bed and cover my face with a pillow.