42

AN: the next few chapters contain content that may be triggering to some people, with several references to sexual assault

------

MIA'S POV:

Crowds of guards littered the halls outside, cleaning up the blood and bodies from the floor or talking amongst themselves. Many of them glanced in my direction as I burst out of the office and charged down the stairs. I nearly fell out of the front door, my legs moving independently from the rest of my body.

Feeling the cold, fresh air gush over me reminded me of just how long it had been since I had been outside. Since I'd felt free. The feeling of freedom washed over me like a tsunami and I ran. I ran for the large iron gates, filled with relief when they opened. I turned back to the mansion behind me, tears in my eyes as I wondered if Logan was looking back at me right now. Was this him letting me go?

I forced myself to turn away and I ran through the gates, away from the mansion, away from Logan. I knew I couldn't go home, there would be too many questions and the first place Logan would go when he decided he didn't want to lose his property after all. Instead, I took a left and sprinted away from town until only trees surrounded me. I ran until my legs collapsed beneath me and I dropped to the pavement, burying my face in my hands.

I couldn't believe Logan had hit me.

Despite every threat he had made, everything he had done, I truly believed he would never hurt me. I thought we'd moved past hating each other. He'd said it himself just last night. things had changed. I'd started to care about him more than I wanted to admit and I genuinely thought he cared about me.

But I was wrong.

I knew that I had pushed him, I could see his resolve weakening. I knew he was about to lose his temper and that had been what I wanted. Those men had come looking for me because they thought I was his weakness. And I desperately wanted to know if that was the case. I had wanted him to tell me how he felt. I wanted him to say he was angry because he'd been scared that they would actually have killed me.

Now I realised how stupid I was. He didn't care about me. I was only property to him. Someone he could order around and fuck and yell at until he was bored and then he would've killed or sold me. I didn't matter to him; he'd just been toying with me.

I cried; my head buried in the palms of my hand. Cars whizzed along the road beside me and I was sure each person must've thought I was insane, dressed in Logan's huge t-shirt and baggy shorts without underwear on, sitting on the side of the road, crying like a baby. I must've looked pathetic.

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing out here all alone?" A voice asked from above me. Slowly, I peeled my hands away from my eyes to see a tall, lean man leering down at me with a sadistic look in his eyes.

"I'm waiting for my boyfriend to pick me up," I told him quickly, glancing around the deserted street leading out of town in a desperate manner.

The man crouched down in front of me, grasping my chin and forcing me to meet his gaze. He licked his lips slowly, eyeing me hungrily. "Are you sure about that?" He asked, raising an over-plucked eyebrow.

"Yes," I snapped, brushing his hand off me and jumping to my feet. It was only then I noticed the large black van parked just down the street from me with a man sat in the driver's seat, eyes glued to me. "Stay away from me," I snapped, taking a step backwards.

The creep smiled maliciously while I backed away and bumped into a hard wall. I turned quickly to see a huge, bulky man towering over me with the same smile as his friend. I swung my knee up instinctively and slammed it in between his legs, watching in satisfaction as he collapsed to the floor.