66

LOGAN'S POV:

I left Mia with her mother and her sister. They spent the rest of the afternoon together while I went to inform Archor that he wouldn't get away with what he had done. I took great delight in causing him pain, even if it was only a fraction of the pain that he had caused his family.

When I returned, Mia was asleep on the bed beside her mother and sister and the two were whispering to each other so as not to wake her. A smile crossed my face at the sight. She looked so peaceful, nestled against her mother with a soft smile on her lips. "How long has she been out?" I asked them, stepping into the room and shutting the door behind me so that if my soldiers made a noise, it wouldn't wake her.

Julia smiled back at me. "About half an hour, we didn't want to wake her."

I stepped closer and lowered onto the bed beside her. I could hear her breathing softly and her hands cupped her stomach. She was already quite big with two babies growing inside of her and every time I looked at her, I felt excitement build up. I couldn't wait to be a father.

I brushed my hand over her cheek, incapable of keeping my hands to myself. She looked so beautiful. "Did you see him?" Julia asked quietly, her voice shaky.

I nodded. "He's going to stay locked up but I've informed my men about what he's done and everyone is in agreement that he needs to pay for his crimes. He'll be sentenced in a few days." She nodded slowly; her gaze fixed on the bed in front of her. "Is there anything you want?" I asked her, "do you want to see him? Or testify against him? Anything?"

She shook her head, raising her eyes to meet mine. "I never want to see him again. I just want to be free and my daughters to be safe."

I nodded. "Well, the house will be signed over to you and any money he had will be split between the three of you. If there's anything you need, let me know and I'll sort it. You won't ever have to worry about anything again," I promised her, keeping my voice low so I didn't wake Mia. "I'm going to take her up to bed," I continued, "this room is yours for as long as you need it and breakfast will be ready at nine tomorrow morning."

I moved to loop my arms around Mia's waist, carefully sliding her against me and lifting her legs so I was carrying her bridal style. She sunk against me, sighing in her sleep. I couldn't help but smile at her. "Thank you," Julia answered, "for everything."

I only nodded, not wanting to speak again for fear of waking Mia up. I carried her through the halls and up the stairs to our bedroom, carefully manoeuvring her when I needed to open doors. I managed to get her onto the bed without waking her and decided to leave her sleeping in her leggings and sweatshirt – she seemed comfortable enough.

I tried to remove my arms from around her and she whined, her eyes still closed but her hands moving to grip my shoulders. I stifled a laugh, holding still for a moment before trying again to release her. I managed to free my arms and reached up to pry her hands off me, eliciting another cry from her.

"Logan," she called and I grinned.

"Go back to sleep." I kissed her forehead and she settled, still with her eyes shut.

"Why'd you let go?"

I wasn't sure if she was awake or talking in her sleep but I smirked down at her while tucking the bed covers around her. "I'll be back in a minute; I just need to change."

At this, her eyes fluttered open and she stared at me, blinking a few times before glancing down at my suit. "I fell asleep," she muttered, her lips moving into a slight pout.

I nodded. "You did, do you want to change out of your clothes?" I asked her. She stretched out beside me before sitting up and peeling away her sweatshirt, her movements slow in her half-asleep state.

I stood up and started to remove my own clothes, my back to her when she spoke again. "I'm sorry," she whispered softly, pain evident in her voice. My chest ached at the sound and I turned to see tears in her eyes.

"What for?"

She swiped the water from her cheeks. "For thinking you were with another woman," she explained. The ache in my chest only intensified when I remembered her accusations but I stepped towards her, shaking my head.

"I'm sorry you thought that." I crouched down beside the bed so I was eye level with her. She didn't look at me. "I love you so much Mia, I would never hurt you like that."

She nodded and slowly turned towards me. "I know that," she said with a nod and my tense shoulders relaxed. "I just panicked. I didn't know what to think and I just- I'm sorry." More tears flowed and I reached up to brush them away before pressing my lips against hers. I pulled her against me, our mouths melding into one.

"I love you," I told her before deepening the kiss, tasting her on my tongue.

I felt her smile against me and she pulled me closer until our bodies were pressed up against each other. When we pulled apart for breath, she smiled. "I love you too." The words caused my chest to squeeze and, despite the fact she was right in front of me, in my arms, I longed for her. It was like I missed her even though she hadn't gone anywhere.

Her yawn broke me from my trance and, rather reluctantly, I pulled away from her and continued to remove my suit trousers. I tossed Mia the t-shirt of mine that she always slept in and she slid it on. It was far too big for her, even with her baby bump, but I loved seeing her in my clothes. It was like visible proof that she was mine.

"By the way," I said, sliding into the bed beside her in just my boxers. I brushed up against her, her warm, soft skin against mine and her scent drowning my senses. "The house looks great," I told her, glancing to the piece of mistletoe she had hung over the bed.

"Really?" I could hear the surprise in her voice and it made me smile. "I thought you might hate it," she explained, "since you don't celebrate."

I kissed her exposed shoulder, where the t-shirt had slid off her a little. "I didn't bother celebrating when I was on my own. But I can't wait to spend it with you this year," I promised her.