Chapter 12: Surprise

Marinette sat on the ladder of the bookshelf, her legs swinging in the air lightly. She turned over the pages of the book that she placed on her lap and read it quietly. Tikki flew back to her shoulder from the top of a bookshelf, holding a very thick book difficultly.

"Thank you Tikki." Marinette smiled and got the book carefully. Tikki landed on her shoulder tiredly.

"Your, your welcome." Tikki panted heavily.

Marinette chuckled and patted her head affectionately. She got a piece of cookie from her satchel and handed it to the kwami.

"What are you reading?"

Tikki chewed the cookie inside her mouth, asked. Marinette smiled and showed the cover to her, Chinese for beginner.####

"Felix suggests me to pick up a language, and I think it's a good idea to choose Chinese." She smiled.

Tikki flashed her a teasing smile, sending her a knowing glance.

"Because of Adrien?" Tikki asked with a knowing grin. Marinette blushed and hid her face behind the book.

"Of course...not?" She smiled shyly.

Tikki giggled to her blushing and made the girl pouted. Marinette sighed and smiled softly.

"Well...just part of the reason."

Tikki looked at her surprisingly, she thought Adrien was the reason why Marinette wanted to study Chinese.

"So what is the other reason?" Tikki asked curiously. Marinette tapped her lip, thinking.

"Maybe mama?" She titled her head, answered.

"You see, mama is Chinese but she never speaks Chinese in front of me or papa as I remember. I always wonder the reason."

Marinette shrugged, touched the book cover with a small smile.

"I want to surprise her when we finally go home. Imagine mama's face when she hears me speaking Chinese."

Tikki chuckled and nuzzled her head to Marinette's cheek. "I'm sure she will! Do you best Marinette!"

The girl smiled shyly and tightened her grip on the book. "I'll try, but Chinese is really complicated."

"Every language is difficult to learn at first, I'm sure you can handle it." Tikki smiled.

Marinette smiled and turned her attention back to the back. They sat inside the library quietly, enjoyed the moment of peace and quiet, until this moment had been disturbed by Marcus's footsteps. Marinette raised her head from the book and turned to Marcus.

Marcus bowed to her politely and smiled. "Master ask you to change your clothes now. He needs you to run an errand."

Marinette raised a brow to his words. She closed her book and got down from the ladder carefully. Before she left, Marcus stopped her and gave her an envelope.

"Here's the money and the list. Just follow the instruction and make you time." He said.

Marinette nodded and took the envelope. She went back to her room and opened the closet. In exchange for the renovation of the mansion, Felix had asked Barbara to change all her clothes into new, except some of them that she insisted to keep had not been thrown away.

She took out some new clothes and saw her old black blazer, flower pattern shirt and her comfort pink jean. She put down her new clothes and took out the old one, touched the fabric gently.

"Marinette?"

Tikki flew to her and saw the girl holding the clothes she used to wear in Paris, she flew to her cheek and looked at her quietly.