Chapter 29: Quietness before the storm

This morning, the atmosphere inside the mansion was unusually quiet. The usual chatting and laughter of the teens couldn't be heard in the enormous house and replaced by absolute silence.

"Marcus, where are the others?" Marinette asked curiously to the butler who was dusting the grand clock inside the living room.

"They all have returned to meet their teacher. It seems like the day of their departure is confirmed."

According to the original plan, Alya they supposed to have left London few weeks ago but the unexpected akuma attacks had delayed their schedule. Based on the consideration of safety, the school had decided to let them stay in London until the situation was confirmed.

The thought of her friends soon leaving sent sadness to Marinette's heart, she wished she could spend more time with them but she knew they needed to leave one day. She couldn't follow them as the danger of Hawk Moth knew her identity was not completely solved.

Marcus noticed the sudden change of mood of the lady, knew what she was thinking and decided to divert her attention.

"Do you have any plan today Miss Marinette? It is a fine day to have some fresh air outside."

"Nah, I'm not in the mood." Marinette sighed and laid her chin on her hand.

"Today is a special day, Miss. I really suggest you to spend your time pleasurably today." Marcus said.

Marinette tilted her head, looked at Marcus confusingly. "Special day? What is it?"

Marcus blinked to Marinette, eyes full of surprise and a slight of amusement. "You forget it Miss?"

"What? I don't remember I have any event today." Marinette pouted and frowned in confusion, tried to recall the details of her schedule but failed to find out what Marcus meant.

Marcus chuckled and shook his head, looked at Marinette with a defeated smile. "Today is your 16th birthday, Miss Marinette."

This time it was Marinette who blinked blankly to Marcus, digesting his words and soon put on a stunned expression on her face. She covered her mouth and gasped, she had totally forgot about this.

Marcus's chuckle grew louder and obviously the young lady's surprise had entertained the old butler. Marcus suggested Marinette to go out for fun instead of staying in the mansion today again and excused himself.

Tikki few out from her hiding spot and laughed at Marinette's previous reaction, earned an embarrassed glare from the young lady. Marinette considered Marcus' suggestion seriously but still she decided to stay in the mansion as she didn't really have the mood for fun alone.

"So what do you want to do today Marinette? There's not much option in the mansion." Tikki asked.

Marinette held her chin and thought of anything she could do in the mansion. As Tikki said, there wasn't much entertainment in the mansion as Felix and the others were not the playful type. Most of their time were all spent on their work and entertainment seemed unnecessary for them.

"Maybe I can design the ball gown for Alya and the others? I promised them after all." Marinette suggested.

Tikki sighed and face palmed, couldn't believe what she just heard.

"So you're planning to spend your birthday in your room, designing your friends' outfits and that's all?" The kwami asked in a defeated tone.

Marinette chuckled shyly, knew what the kwami was thinking. Although her idea sounded ridiculous, fashion design was her passion and she enjoyed every moment with it to be honest.