Chapter 16: Beca

Beca wasn't sure how to feel as Chloe drove them back home. On the one hand, the day had been perfect. She had never felt as close to Chloe as she did now. Their relationship seemed to be going in the direction she wanted. She should be happy. Yet, she was still so angry at Emily. Beca had trusted her enough to tell her about her cancer, and Emily lied straight to her face about Benji and Jesse. What else had she lied about?

Beca was so flustered she just had to talk to someone. But it couldn't be Chloe. She needed to talk to someone who wasn't directly involved. Plus, every time she talked to Chloe, all she wanted to do was make out with her. So Beca decided to reach out to someone who, six years ago, she never would have imagined going to for advice. She texted Aubrey.

Beca texts, "Hey, Aubs, can I ask you a question?"

Aubrey texts back, "Who is this?"

Beca texts, "Very funny bitch."

Aubrey texts, "Well, you don't ever call or text me anymore. I thought you must have got a new number."

Beca texts, "Hey! it's not like you never call or text me either."

Aubrey texts, "Fair enough. What's up, Beca?"

Beca texts "What would you do if one of your friends was dating one of your Ex's behind your back?"

Aubrey texts, "Depends. Do you still love him?"

Beca texts, "IDK."

Aubrey texts, "You know! Tell me"

Beca texts "Okay... No, I don't love him anymore. There is someone else I like. So a part of me thinks I shouldn't care. But the other part of me thinks it is wrong for her to do this to me."

Aubrey "Does this other person like you back?"

Beca looked at Chloe, who was singing Ava Max's "psycho" as she drove. Chloe glanced over at Beca and smiled. The look on the redhead's face was enough to stop Beca's heart. She realized how lucky she was to have Chloe back in her life.

Beca texts back, "I think so."

Aubrey "Well, then take it from someone who has lost several boyfriends from being too controlling. Don't let what you've lost take away what you have now."

Beca texts, "You're right. Thanks, Aubs."

Aubrey texts "Anytime bitch! Your total comes out to $200. Will you be paying by cash or card today?"

Beca texts "Haha, very funny pitch."

Aubrey texts "Becs, why didn't you ask Chloe about this?" She then texts, "Is Chloe, the other person?"

Beca "No, Chloe would never date one of my Ex's behind my back!"

Aubrey "No, is Chloe the other person that you like?"

Beca saw the text but didn't text her back. She figured that Aubrey didn't need to know everything. Plus, she didn't want her to go running to Chloe and telling her everything behind her back. Beca wanted her to tell the older woman herself.

Aubrey texts "Beca? (and then) Beca! (And then) Answer me!"

Beca turned her phone off, and within minutes they were back at Chloe's house. But Fat Amy was asleep. Chloe wasn't too surprised. After all, Fat Amy ran a nightclub and usually slept most of the day.

Chloe "Should I wake her up?"

Beca (sits on the couch) "No, let her sleep. (She singled Chloe to come and sit by her). It will give us a chance to finish that talk."

Chloe (a little surprised) "Okay. (She sat next to Beca) Where were we?"

Beca "I was about to ask you why you put up with all my shit?"