Chapter 7: Jesse

Getting a hold of Benji was harder than Jesse had anticipated. The two hadn't talked in years. So, it was no surprise when he didn't immediately answer Jesse's calls or texts. But as time passed, it became clear he wasn't going to call him back.

Bumper "Bro, let's just show up at his house and say listen here, you little shit, you're going help us get out girls back."

Jesse "We don't even know for sure if he is still dating Emily."

Bumper "Bro, who cares? We just need him to have her number still. Barden is only a 3-hour drive from here. We could be there in time for dinner."

Jesse didn't want to go back to Barden, but he felt he was already committed at this point. Plus, if there was a chance to see Beca again, Jesse had to take it. So he reluctantly agreed to Go with Bumper. However, by the time the two men arrive in Barden, Jesse was regretting his decision to get involved. For one, Bumper was driving him crazy. He only talked about himself for the entire drive. And to make matters worse, every street they drove down in Barden reminded him of Beca. He had forgotten how much he loved her.

As they pulled up to Benji's apartment, Jesse wasn't sure what to think.

The two men knocked on Benji's door, and an older African-American man answered the door. Bumper give immediately gave him a big hug.

Bumper (still hugging the man) "Benji! It's so good to see you again, buddy! Look how much you've grown."

Jesse "Man, that's not Benji."

Bumper stops hugging him.

Bumper "What you're not, Benji?"

Jesse (to Bumper) "Of course he's not. (then to the other man) We're sorry to interrupt you. Our old college friend Benji used to live here. Do you know where we might be able to find him?"

Robert "Yeah, he actually lives right across the street."

Jesse "Okay, Thank you."

The two men then crossed the street to a small rundown house.

Jesse "It looks abandoned."

Bumper "Hopefully, he didn't kill himself."

They knocked on the door. After a few minutes, it opened slightly.

Jesse "Benji, buddy, you in there?"

Bumper "Benji, open the god damn door!"

The door slowly opened to a dark apartment, and there stood Benji. He looked as if he had just woken up. His face was unshaven, and his hair was uncombed. He was also fatter than Jesse had remembered.

Benji "Hey guys, what are you doing here?"

Bumper "We need to talk."

Jesse (to Bumper)"Let me handle this, okay?" (To Benji) "Benji, are you and Emily Junk are still dating?"

Benji (looking confused) "No, I broke up with her about a year ago."

Bumper "Are you kidding me, you freaking loser?"

Jesse "Benji, did you break up with her?"

Benji "Technically, yes. But she was going to dump me soon anyway. So I just beat her to the punch."

Jesse "Why was she going to dump you?"

Bumper "Because he's a loser."

Jesse "Bumper, stop."

Benji "No, it's true. I was just a poor magician, and she was making three times what I was making. There's no way that she would stay with a guy like me. She deserved better."

Jesse "Oh Benji, did you tell her that?"

Benji "No. I just broke up with her over text."

Bumper "What a fucking loser !! I can't believe this."

Benji starts to cry.

Jesse "If you could, would you change it?"

Benji "Yes."

Jess "Then call her, and we'll help you get her back."