Chapter 5: Chloe

"Dr. Beale, your lunch appointment is here."

Chloe "Thank you, Bethany. I'll be right there."

Chloe walked out to see Fat Amy waiting for her. The two women had lunch together almost every day. When she moved in, Chloe told her she wouldn't have to pay for rent as long as they spent quality time together. And since Fat Amy liked her freedom, she agreed to do so by bringing Chloe lunch. It gave them a chance to talk about their days with one another. Usually, Fat Amy wanted Chloe's advice on one thing or another. However, today she was just rambling on about some new changes she was making to her club.

As Fat Amy talked, Chloe found her mind wandering. She was almost 30 and still single. Her mom would be so disappointed if she were still alive. All her growing up, she had talked about Chloe's wedding day, about how special it would be. She even made Chloe promise her that she would find someone special before she died. But now Chloe wasn't even trying to get married.

The truth was Chloe was never getting married now. The redhead had dated several different boys on and off in college. She even hooked up with a few of them. But she never really connected with any of them in an intimate way. Not like how she connected with Beca. After meeting Beca, Chloe just lost interest in boys and dating. She spent every possible moment with Beca and the Bellas. At first, she just thought it was because they were best friends. But she soon realized that she had deeper feelings for Beca. And at times, it seemed like Beca had feelings for her too. The problem was Jesse. She was his girlfriend, and telling her how she felt would only hurt her. But Chloe always kept alive the hope that she would get the chance to say how she felt. She even intentionally failed Russian Lit three times to stay in school with Beca, waiting for her chance to say how she felt—flirting with Beca every chance she could, trying to make her feelings overt without being too direct or overbearing. However, when Beca and Jesse did break up, Chloe still couldn't say what she felt. She was too scared of losing the person she cared about most to say it. And so when she met Chicago, she went for it, thinking she had just imagined that Beca had feelings for her. But it all blew up in her face. Oh, why did she even think he was cute? Chloe thought.

Fat Amy "You alright, Chlo?"

Chloe "Yeah, I was just thinking."

Fat Amy "Was it about Beca?"

Chloe "Why do you say that?"

Fat Amy "I can see into your soul, ginger."

Chloe "Oh, really? Tell me what you see?"

Fat Amy (jokingly) "You have a look on your face that says, oh, I miss being in college with Beca. Back then, we were Bhloe and the Bellas. In those days, we ran the world."

Chloe "That's not what I was thinking. And we were never above any of the other Bellas."

Fat Amy (rolls her eyes) "Just admit that you miss her more than as a former Bella."

Chloe "As soon as you admit that despite everything, you're still in love with Bumper."

Fat Amy "As if! I've got like so many better options right now. I would never go back to him. No matter how hard he begged."

Her statement made Chloe laugh. The two had been playing this game for a while now. Fat Amy would bring up Beca, and Chloe would respond by bringing up Bumper. It was usually enough to distract the Australian and make her change the subject. But she knew that deep down Fat Amy understood how she felt. Chloe tended to talk about her true feelings when she got drunk, and Fat Amy had been around long enough to hear it all from drunk Chloe. So, she was never quite sure why Fat Amy kept bringing it up. It was not like there was anything Chloe could do about it now. Beca was happily living her dream in L.A. The redhead just hoped that Beca would eventually call or text her back. Then they could at least be friends again. At this point, it was like Beca didn't even know the redhead existed anymore. And that fact hurt Chloe more than anything.

Fat Amy "You know, Chloe, you still have time to tell her how you feel. Like how you really feel."

Chloe took a deep breath. She supposed talking about Beca was how the Australian showed that she cared.

Chloe "I wish it were that easy, Amy. And Bumper would be a fool not to beg for you back,"

Fat Amy "I doubt we will be hearing from him anytime soon."