Chapter 20: Emily

By the time she got home, Emily was emotionally exhausted. The music producer felt like she had been hit by a truck. She was so upset about what had happened with Jesse that she didn't couldn't even bring herself to talk to Benji. Everything was a mess. It hurt that Jesse didn't care about her. He only wanted Beca. Beca wasn't returning her texts, and Chloe was obviously hurt when he showed up. And to make matters worse, Fat Amy was pissed at her. When Emily tried to talk to her, all she would say was that Chloe was outback.

It's time to take responsibility for your actions, Emily thought. She then went outback to find Chloe with her head buried in her arms and a beer bottle in her hand. She was crying and clearly had been drinking.

Emily went over and took the beer bottle out of Chloe's hand. She was surprised that it was already half empty.

Emily "Sweetie, let's not drink this right now. You know how you get when you're upset, and you drink alcohol. And you don't want to be like that with Beca here."

Chloe "It doesn't matter! She's with Jesse."

Chloe started crying again. Emily sat down next to her and put her arm around the older woman to calm her down.

Emily "Yeah, but she's not with him..... with him, Chlo.....I mean, everyone can see that Beca is madly in love with you. Just look at the way she acts around you. She lights up whenever you enter a room or when someone says your name. And you should see the way she looks at you. She's clearly got it bad for you. And who can blame her? You're witty, funny, smart, kind, beautiful, and of course, smoking hot. You just need to have a little of that amazing Chloe confidence and tell her how you really feel. I promise it will all be okay."

Chloe "I just don't understand it, Em. I've never had a problem saying what I've felt before. But with Beca, I just freeze every time."

Emily "That's how you know it's real."

They hug.

Emily "Now, let's get you some coffee and a nice hot shower. And by the time you're done, Beca will be back, and you'll be feeling more like yourself."

Emily helped Chloe up and walked her into her bedroom.

Chloe (slightly tipsy) "Em, Jesse is an idiot for rejecting you."

..........

Beca arrived home shortly after Chloe got into the shower. Fat Amy asked Beca if she wanted to join Chloe. Emily smiled. She had heard the story of how Chloe followed Beca into the shower when they first met a thousand times. The way Beca told it always made her laugh. But today, no one was laughing. Beca just brushed off Far Amy's comment and went over to her laptop. Emily could tell that she was stressed and tried to talk to her. But Beca just ignored her by putting on her headphones.

Great, she's pissed at me too, Emily thought.

..........

By the time Chloe got out of the shower and dressed, the house had fallen awkwardly silent. Chloe walked into the living room without saying a word and sat on the couch. Beca immediately took off her headphones and went over and sat next to her. She put her head on Chloe's shoulder and began to cuddle with her. Chloe put her arm around Beca and cuddled her back. The two women rubbed their noses together and then stared at each other as if Emily or Fat Amy weren't even there.

Even though they weren't saying anything, it looked to Emily as if they were having a conversation by the way they exchanged looks with one another. The two had always been very close. So much so that the Bellas would often talk about them being on their own wavelength. But this was different. It was far more intimate than how they used to act. They were acting like a couple. As far as Emily could tell, it was like Beca was apologizing for spending time with Jesse and as if Chloe was forgiving her. But that wasn't all. There was something else being said too, but Emily couldn't make out what it was. And for the first time that weekend, Emily felt that everyone in the room knew something she didn't.

Their silent conversation ended. Beca put her head back on Chloe's shoulder and closed her eyes. Within a few seconds, the small singer appeared to be asleep. Chloe smiled and winked at Emily as if to tell her everything was okay and then closed her eyes too.

Emily texts Fat Amy, "Looks like my plan worked."

Fat Amy texts back, "We're getting there Legacy, but it's not official till they say it is. I also have a feeling that Jesse could still be a problem. What happened when you told him how you felt?"

Emily texts, "I didn't. He only wanted to talk about Beca until Benji and Bumper showed up."

Fat Amy texts, "God damn it, why am I the only one in this group who says what she feels?"

Emily texts, "IDK. Beca is so pissed she won't even look at me."

Fat Amy texts, "Your just lucky Chloe has a kind heart. She's the one who should be pissed."

Emily "How do I make this better, Amy?"

Fat Amy "Let Beca figure things out with Chloe first, then try talking to her."

Emily knew Fat Amy was right. Beca would probably calm down once she and Chloe had a chance to talk about their relationship. There was always the chance that she would go back to Jesse, but after witnessing the way Beca has just interacted with Chloe, she doubted it.

Jesse, just thinking about him, hurt her. Why did he have to be such a jerk? Sure she wasn't Beca, but he could have at least given her a chance. After all, it was his idea for her to eat with him. He also was the one who asked if he could walk her home. Most people would have taken that as a sign of attraction.

Emily texts, "I don't think I can come with you guys to the riff-off. I don't want to see Benji or Jesse."

Fat Amy (texts) "What Legacy?! We need you! We are already short-handed as it is. Plus, this is still your mess, so you owe Beca and Chloe."

Emily texts, "Fine, I will do it if they do it."

Fat Amy (speaking out loud) "So should we talk about the riff off girls?"

Chloe opened her eyes. and said, "what about it?"

Fat Amy "I guess I should ask, do you guys even want to go? I mean, it is a million dollars we are talking about here? But we need to go as a group if we do."

Beca (keeps her eyes closed and her head on Chloe's left shoulder) "I'll go if you go, Chlo."

Chloe (thinks for a minute) "If you think you are ready to get back with Bumper, we'll go."

Felt Amy "I at least want to see if he has changed."

Emily "But do you guys think we can win even with the Treblemakers?"

Beca "No"

Chloe "Nope"

Fat Amy "We don't stand a chance without the minorities."

Emily "Is there any of the old Bellas we could ask to join us?"

Chloe "Aubrey and Stacy would come if they had more heads up. But they live 3 hours away. There's no way they could make it in time."

Beca "Cynthia-Rose lives in Mane."

Fat Amy "Flo go deported, and no one knows where Lily is."

Emily "What about Jessica and Ashley?"

Fat Amy "Who's that?"

Emily "You know the two girls in our groups who never said much. They just kept to themselves."

Fat Amy "I've never heard of them."

Chloe "I don't think I know them."

Beca "They must have been there after we graduated."

Emily "No, Jessica and Ashley were defiantly in college at the same time as you guys."

Fat Amy "Quit making stuff up, Em."

Emily (frustrated) "Okay, whatever. Should we at least try to sing together, just us?"

Fat Amy "What would we even sing?"

No one said anything. Then, Beca, who was still in the same place, started to sing Titanium out of the blue. Chloe then joined her. After the first verse, Fat Amy and Emily joined in. For a moment, they all just sat there singing together. Then the song ended. Beca opened her eyes and stared into Chloe's. For a moment, no one says anything.

Then Emily finally broke the silence by saying, "Maybe we can win."