Chapter 23: Emily

From the other side of the bar, Emily watched Chloe storm off. She then watched as Jessie and Beca began to talk. Well, it didn't actually look like they were talking. It wasn't more like they were arguing about something. Emily could see a fit of anger in Beca's face and her mannerisms. She was pointing at Jessie and making all sorts of hand motions. Jesse responded by repeatedly throwing his hands up in the air. Emily was fascinated by what she saw. She then began to wonder to herself whose side she should be on.

On the one hand, Beca was Emily's mentor and one of her best friends. But on the other hand, Emily didn't know why Baca and Jesse had broken up. Maybe it was Beca's fault. After all, Jessie was every girl's dream. Maybe Beca had hurt him. Maybe that is why he had rejected her. And what was with Chloe storming off? Emily wondered. There was no way to know without hearing what they were saying to each other.

Emily found herself slowly creeping towards the two. She just had to know what they were fighting about. However, as soon as she got into earshot, Beca stormed off. The smaller woman was followed by Jessie, who was still trying to talk to her. Beca ignored him and marched straight into the ladies' room. Emily continued to follow them until Jessie stopped. He turned around and was surprised to see Emily standing there.

Jessie "Hey."

"I'll talk to her," Emily said, not fully understanding what had just happened. She could see the pain in his eyes, and it broke her heart. She was so angry at Beca for hurting him like that.

Jessie "Can we talk about what happened earlier?"

Emily "There is nothing to talk about. Just wait here, and I'll be back with Beca in a minute."

Jessie "but.."

Emily "No, buts! I'll be back."

Emily stormed past Jamie and went into the ladies' room. There she found a very upset Beca Mitchell crying into the mirror. Emily walked towards her but was stopped dead in her tracks when Beca shot her a dirty look. Usually, the younger women would avoid any form of contention, especially with Beca. But she had enough of whatever was going on with Beca, Chloe, and Jessie.

Emily "What was that?"

Beca looked at Emily but didn't say anything.

Emily "Dude, I know you have cancer. And that sucks. It really does. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must be for you. But you've got two people out there who really care about you and just want you to be happy. And you have a responsibility to them. I don't care if you want to be with Chloe, or Jesse, or neither one, but the least you can do is go out there and be honest with them about what your feeling."

Beca tried not to cry as Emily spoke. But Emily could tell that the older women felt like shit.

Emily "I love you, Beca, and I always will, even if you don't love me anymore. But this is something you are going to have to do for yourself. So if you need me, I'm going to go out back and get shit-faced drunk, and then I'll get an Uber home."

The music producer then turned and left the ladies' room without looking back at Beca. She was happy with herself that she had said her peace but was surprised that Jessie wasn't there waiting for her. She got a bottle of vodka out of her purse, and she made her way to the club's back exit. There was no way she was going to hang around here any longer than she needed to. However, before she could leave, the music producer felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to see Benji standing there.

Benji "Surprise!"

Emily was shocked to see magic flowers come out of Benji's suit coat. And she instantly felt guilty for how she had been treating him.

Emily "Hey Benj, I'm sorry that I've been avoiding you."

Benji "It's okay. I would be avoiding me, too, if I were in your shoes. What I did to you was unforgivable."

Emily "It's okay. We were young and dumb. Plus, you apologized, and I forgive you."

Benji "I didn't, though."

Emily "Yeah, you did. I have the texts."

Benji "That wasn't me, Em. It was Jessie."

Emily "What?"

Benji "Bumper and Jessie showed up at my house. They wanted to find Fat Amy. I told them about what had happened between us and about what I did. But they were convinced you could help them. So Jessie started texting you on my phone."

I knew it, she thought.

Em "Oh...."

Benji "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for how I ended it with you and that I've been thinking about it and.... [He looks at the ground] and.... [ he then looks back at her] and I'm okay with you dating Jessie."

Emily [gasps] "What?"

Benji "I saw the way that you two were looking at each other at the dinner. I wanted to say I'm okay with it if he makes you happy."

Emily "But what about us?"

Benji "We had our time together. It was magical. But we're just too different. I think it's time we move on as friends."

Emily grabbed Benji and pulled him in for a slow kiss. Emily knew once she pulled away be, her relationship with Benji would be over forever. And she wanted it to last just a little longer. They kissed for what seemed like forever.

Emily "I will always love you, Benjamin."

Benji "I know."

Emily watched as he walked away just as mysterious as he had come. She then turned and walked out of the club's back door. The music producer pulled out her vodka bottle again.

I can't get drunk fast enough, she thought.