Chapter 28: Chloe

As soon as she heard what had happened, Chloe dropped everything and rushed off to the hospital. She didn't know what to think.

Beca was fine last night, wasn't she? Chloe thought. What could have gone wrong between then and now? She wondered.

The only thing keeping her together on her drive to the hospital was the adrenaline that came with the idea that Beca was sick. But when she hit a red light, a wave of fear and dread came rushing over. She couldn't stand the thought of losing Beca again after all that they had just been through. She also hated the idea of her girlfriend suffering and being in pain.

What could be wrong with her? Chloe kept thinking over and over again.

........

Chloe arrived at the hospital and found Emily and Fat Amy in the waiting room. Emily rushed over to Chloe and gave her a big hug.

Chloe "Em, what happened?!"

Emily (crying) "Beca's really sick, Chlo. She has a rare type of leukemia. She made me swear on the Bellas not to tell anyone until after she told you. But then..... (Emily starts to break down and becomes indiscernible)."

Chloe (crying as she hugs Emily) "shhh, it's going to be okay, Em.... What did the doctor say?"

Fat Amy "He said she should be okay for now. They think she just blacked out, but they are running some tests."

While Fat Amy was speaking, Jesse walked out of the men's restroom. Chloe could tell that he was upset. She ran over and gave him a big hug.

Chloe (sobbing) "I'm so sorry.... I never hated you."

Jesse (hugs her back) "Hey, it's okay. I honestly never knew that you and Beca had feelings for each other, but, looking back, it makes a lot of sense. I'm happy you're together. I think you're perfect for one another."

Chloe continued to sob into his arms.

Jesse "I know you're scared, but you need to be strong for her now, okay? She's going to need you to take care of her while she is getting treatment. Can you promise me that you will do that for me?"

Chloe wiped the tears from her eyes and nodded.

Jesse "Then I promise I won't get in your way anymore. She's all yours, Chloe."

Chloe hugged Jesse again.

Eventually, a nurse came and told them all that they could go in.

Fat Amy "We should give Chloe and Beca a moment alone."

............

Chloe walked into the hospital room. It broke her heart to see Beca lying alone in a hospital bed hooked up to all those machines. The singer was asleep but seemed to be breathing all right. Chloe sat in a chair next to her bed. She grabbed Beca's hand and started to softly sing to her, "Just the way you are."

Beca (wakes up) "Chloe?"

Chloe (smiles) "Hey, you wanted to wake up next to me, right?"

Beca (laughs) "This isn't exactly what I had in mind."

Chloe (kisses her) "Why didn't you tell me?"

Beca "I was going to. But I didn't want you to think that I was only coming home because I was sick. And I didn't want you to focus on the cancer and on what might happen to me. I didn't want our time together to be all about the end. I wanted it to be about us because I love you more than you'll ever know."

Chloe "I love you too, Beca. But this isn't the end. It's only the beginning."

They kiss. Then Chloe finds herself getting down on one knee.

Beca "Chloe, what are you doing?"

Chloe "This isn't how I imagined doing this. But I need you to know how I feel about you. And about us....."

Beca gasped as Chloe took a deep breath. The redhead then looked into Beca's beautiful eyes.

Chloe "Beca Mitchel, will you marry me?"

Beca "Chloe, you're just upset."

Chloe "No, Beca, I'm not! I've loved you for years, and my only regret in life is letting you leave two years ago without telling you how I really felt. I won't make that mistake again. I love you, Beca, and I want to spend the rest of our lives together."

Beca (starts to cry) "Chloe, I could die from the treatment."

Chloe "We're all dying, Beca. Every day we are one day closer to the end. We can't control that. All we can control is what we do with the time we have and how we treat the people around us. And I am madly in love with you, and I want you to know that. I want to marry you. ..... Do you want to marry me?"

Beca (sniffles and then smiles) "Yes. Yes!"

Chloe screams with excitement, "Yay, we are engaged!"

Chloe thinks for a minute and then slips a ring off her finger and puts it on Beca's ring finger.

Chloe "This is just until I can get you a nicer one."

Beca "No, I love it. It's a piece of you, which makes it's perfect."

...................

Hours passed as Beca and Chloe waited for the doctor to come and talk to them. Chloe was exhausted. The redhead had been up all night fooling around with Beca and then went into work like it was just another day. Several times she felt herself start to doze off as the others talked to Beca. Fat Amy, Bumper, Emily, and Jesse all came and went. But Chloe refused to leave her fiance's side.

Beca "Chloe, you're exhausted. Go home and get some rest."

Chloe "No, Beca. I'm not leaving you here alone."

Beca "I'll be fine. And as soon as the doctor comes in, I'll call you. I promise. Just go home and get some sleep."

Chloe "No, I'm not leaving here until you do."

Beca "Fine, then at least come and lay by me while we wait."

Chloe "Is that allowed?"

Beca "What are they going to do? Send me home? Give me more cancer? (Beca scooted over to make room for Chloe.) Come on. I'm little. You can fit on here with me."

Chloe carefully laid down next to her. The smaller woman put her left arm around the redhead as Chloe laid her head on Beca's shoulder. The two cuddled as Chloe drifted off to sleep. Beca kissed her forehead and said, "I'm so lucky to have you."