Chapter 22: Fat Amy

After the riff-off, The Tre-Bellas quickly fell apart. Chloe, Beca, and Jesse went off in one direction, while Benji, Emily, and Lily all went their separate ways. Fat Amy felt helpless as she watched it all go down before her eyes. They had all lost riff-offs before. But this felt so much worse. It was as if this was the last time that Fat Amy would see all of the people she had come to love and respect over the past 7 years together. She was witnessing the end of something, and the Australian wasn't sure if she could handle it.

But what came next hurt far worse as she watched Bumper go up to the New Bellas. He handed them a check. Then without a word, he put his head down, turned, and walked out of the club. As he left, all the pain and anger that had been with Fat Amy over the past few years melted away. All she wanted to was hold her ex. The next thing she knew, Fat Amy was following Bumper out of the club and into the parking lot.

Fat Amy "Bumper, where are you going?"

Bumper(keeps walking) "It doesn't matter. Nothing matters."

Fat Amy "What do you mean it does matter?"

Bumper ignored her and just kept walking away.

Fat Amy "Bumper, please just talk to me. I know that you've changed."

Her words made Bumper stop. He turned around, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "I haven't. My whole life, I've been pretending to be something that I'm not. And I think that maybe it's time to stop pretending."

Fat Amy "But, what about us?"

Bumper "There is no us. I ruined it. And if you came back to me, I would ruin it again just like I do everything else in my life."

Fat Amy (walking closer to Bumper) "So what, you're just going to leave now? After giving those skinny Bitches all that money? After making me realize how much I've missed you? "

Bumper "You don't want me."

Fat Amy "No, you're wrong. I always wanted you. I just didn't want you to think that I wanted you because of your money or your fame. It drove you crazy, Bumper. Just talk to me, and we can figure it out."

Fat Amy could see that Bumper was in pain. She wrapped her arms around the shorter man and hugged him as tightly as he could.

Fat Amy "I'll always love you, Bumper."

Bumper "Okay, stop. You're hurting me."

Fat Amy let go of him.

Fat Amy "Oh, sorry. I just didn't want you to leave without.... without knowing that I do still love you."

Bumper was so overcome with joy that he pulled the bigger woman into a kiss. And for the first time in a long time, Fat Amy was at peace.