Chapter 3: Emily

Emily sat alone at a bar, trying not to gain any unwanted attention. She wasn't here on business or to make new friends. She was here to find Beca and bring her home. For months now, Emily had been trying to come up with a plan to reunite Beca and Chloe. The problem was that both were too stubborn to reach out to one another. Following the Europe Tour, the two would talk for hours every day on the phone. Sometimes Emily would wake up to them having talked all night. After, Chloe would just shine and be so happy. But then all of a sudden it stopped. Emily wasn't sure why.

Chloe would just say that Beca was busy with her career and needed her space. Yet, whenever Emily would call or text Beca, she would say that Chloe needed her space right now. It upset her to see them drift apart. And what was even worse was that Chloe wasn't the same. She didn't have the spark that she once had. Chloe just went to work and then home every day. If Emily ever got her to go out to Amy's club, she would just get drunk and cry. Then she would incoherently ramble on about Beca and the past. It was like a part of her had died. And from what Emily could tell, the same thing was happening to Beca.

One day she asked Fat Amy if she knew why they never talked anymore.

Flashback: Fat Amy "Isn't it obvious, Em?"

Emily "No, not to me."

Fat Amy "They have a toner for each other, but neither one can admit it."

Emily "A toner? how do you know?"

Fat Amy "Oh Legacy, it's obvious! Chloe has been in love with Beca since the day they first met. And Beca has deep feelings for her too. The problem was she also had feelings for Jesse at the time. So when he asked her to be his girlfriend, she said yes."

Emily "But they broke up."

Fat Amy "Yes, but by then things were too complicated between them for Chloe to just come out and tell her she loved her. I think Beca knew it and was going to make a move until Chloe met Chicago."

Emily "But Chicago was just a little crush. Chloe didn't love him."

Fat Amy "That's not what Beca thinks. She blames herself for their breakup."

Emily "why?"

Fat Amy "Because she told him he wasn't good enough for her."

Emily didn't know what to think. Maybe they really did have a toner for one another. But one thing was for sure; they were both very sad without each other. So, Emily decided that it was time to repay them for all they had done for her. The way she looked at it they were the two most important people in her life. If it wasn't for Chloe, she never would have been a Bella, and if it wasn't for Beca, she wouldn't have a career as a music producer and songwriter. She had to get them back together. The only question was how. Eventually, Emily came to the conclusion that the only way to go about it was to take some vacation time to go and find Beca. She figured if she could convince her to come home, then everything else would work itself out. Of course, she would have to make it look like she was there on business, as to avoid any suspicion from Chloe or Beca. They would need to think that they came together on their own and that they weren't being set up.

All of a sudden, Emily heard a familiar voice say, "Hey, dude!"

Emily "Oh my God, Beca, how are you?"

Beca hugs Emily. Beca "I'm tired and could use a drink."

The two sat at the bar and talked for hours. They reminisced about their days as Bellas, their old internship, and their crazy friends. As they talked, Emily could tell that something wasn't right with Beca. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but Beca definitely wasn't acting like herself. She looked pale and drained.

Eventually, Beca "how's Chloe?"

Emily "She's good.... She misses you, though. Actually, she misses you a lot...."

Beca doesn't say anything.

Emily "in fact sometimes she still talks to you.....Well, not actually to you obviously. But if she thinks no one is around, she goes through what she would say if you were there. Or what she would ask you. She does the same thing if she's drunk. But you know Chloe. After like three drinks, she becomes totally incoherent."

Becca drinks.

Emily "You know she is turning 30 next month."

Becca "Yeah, I know."

Emily "Well, Fat Amy and I are throwing her a surprise party. Kind of as a thank you for all she has done for us. And we want you to be the guest of honor."

Beca "I don't think that would be a good idea."

Emily "But Beca, you're her best friend. It would mean so much to her."

Beca starts to cry.

Emily "I'm sorry, I know you two are in a weird spot right now, but I think if you just came home and talked to her, it would all work itself out."

Beca [grabs Emily by the hand] "Emily, I need to tell you something. But you have to promise not to tell anyone. None of the Bellas. And you, for sure, can't tell Chloe."

Emily knows Beca. She can tell that she is serious.

Emily "I promise."

Beca "Swear on the Bellas."

Emily "I swear on the Bellas."

Beca smiles with tears in her eyes and looks Emily in the eyes.

Beca "I have cancer, Em."