4. Your Call

When the next morning arrived, Stevie was coming down the stairs to start her morning with some tea and as she flowed by, in her black, silk nighty and robe that matched, it followed her in the gentle wind she created as she walked by.

"Hey," Lindsey stated in the dark.

"Jesus Christ!" she yelled, placing a hand over her heart. Right after, she closed her robe so he couldn't see her.

"What are you covering, that I haven't seen before?" he kind of smirked.

Rolling her eyes, "You scared the hell out of me, I thought you left last night?" she asked, dodging his statement as she put a pot of water on the stove.

"Your mom insisted I stay," he truthfully stated. "I was gonna go, but... she really kind of begged and set up the guest room down here."

"Mm, sounds like her," she cleared her throat as she took a seat. "So, what are you doing out here?" she had to ask. "Planning on a quick getaway?"

"No," he assured honestly. "I just couldn't really sleep---was thinking about you and the kids. What you said last night."

"Wow, you thinking? That's a miracle that was certainly hard to come by," she rose a brow. "What took so long?"

"Well," he let off a wry laugh, "I've been thinking a lot in the last few months and last night, when you said I would do whatever I wanted anyway... I got to more thinking."

She stayed staring at him, just taking in this new, what she felt was a facade, personality. She was trying so hard to figure out if there was some sort of angle he was working towards and if he did, she wanted to know what it was.

"I won't give her the car, if you don't want me to. Before you said anything, I was just thinking, if things don't work out, at least I could help you by getting her something to drive. I know you're busy and your mom doesn't drive anymore..." he shrugged. "At least you'd only be driving Isaac around and if you needed, I'd get him a car."

She sighed a little, because the act was selfless.

Deep down; she wasn't sure if she wanted him to do something stupid just so she could blame him and give more reason to divorce him or if she wanted him to be the guy he was making himself out to be, to make her believe there was a sporadic yet positive change in his personality.

"So, what do you say? It's your call..."

Sighing again, "I don't--"

"Mom? Where are my brown boots?" Devyn yelled from upstairs.

"I'll get back to you on that," she assured, standing tall to go and meet her daughter upstairs.

"Yep," he nodded, kind of laughing, leaning back in his seat. After another minute or so, he realized that her water was bubbling over onto the stove, so he got up to turn the flame off. He then took it upon himself to pour it into the mug and put a tea bag in for her.

"Hello, dear---" Barbara's voice caused him to turn around. "What are you doing up so early?" she asked, rubbing his shoulder as she was preparing to start breakfast.

"If I'm not mistaken, you actually told me to get up early so I could talk to Stevie. But if you must know, I couldn't sleep so maybe it was meant that I speak to her," he added.

"Of course it was," she turned and patted the side of his face. "You guys still love each other, even though she is trying desperately to hate you."

"I believe that, but I don't think she cares for me that much right now..." he rolled his eyes at himself. "She's not happy to see me and I know that."