31. The Long Tunnel

It was late one night during the week, Stevie couldn't sleep at all, but since Devyn brought up Lindsey's girlfriend, she had been consumed by it. Tonight, she was sipping on a glass of wine, tapping the ball of her foot against the wood flooring in the kitchen as she thought about calling her spouse. And she eventually did.

"Hello?" he answered a little groggily since he had been sleeping.

"It's me, I'm sorry---did I wake you?" she rolled her eyes at herself since it was obvious.

"Kinda... I was just dosing, but what's up?"

"Well, um... The kids brought up the fact that you were seeing somebody. You have a girlfriend as Devyn put it, but she doesn't really know anything about it. Before jumping to any conclusions and such things---I just have to ask, I thought you couldn't date."

"I can't date and I don't have a girlfriend," he assured. "If I did, I'd have told you and I would have signed the divorce papers."

"Ah..." she nodded to herself---knowing he had no reason to lie about it because that was the truth she knew. "The kids were worried and by kids, I do mean Devyn. She said you've been taking your calls away from them instead of letting them listen in like back in the day."

He chuckled. "I'm doing my best to keep the on-the-road lifestyle away from them. I think we could all benefit from me straying home life from work life. If I were to recall, I know that caused some issues between us as well."

"Yeah..." she paused. "Anyway, I'm sorry to bother you. But maybe you should clear them on the fact that you don't have a girlfriend. I believe you, but you've met our children."

"I'll do that. And I'm glad to hear that."

"What?"

"That you believe me."

"It's taken a few months, but I think you're growing on me," she let the bottom of her palm slam into her head as she heard her words leave her mouth. "I'm a little buzzed, that didn't come out right."

Chuckling again, "Buzzed or not, I believe you either way. Even if you don't like it, Stevie, I am growing on you."

"And all you're doing is growing hard since, buzzed or not, you still don't get to date for another six-seven months?" she questioned.

"You're funny," he rose a brow at her dick joke, mostly because it was true. He'd felt urges when he was with her; something else to frustrate him because he couldn't have her.

"What's the point of charming me into your arms when there's no end of the tunnel as of now?" she asked.

"Proves I can still make you mine when this is over. Let me ask you this... Devyn brought this up, of course..."

"Of course," she rolled her eyes.

"Well," he laughed, "what are these morning or afternoon runs about?"

"Excuse me?" she said a little snidely only because she had no idea he would ask---she didn't even know he knew.

"Both kids said that you get frustrated a lot lately, Devyn said you always go on a run, meaning you go to Ben's whenever you're frustrated. And I don't think that's exactly healthy..."

"Oh, my God," she mumbled to herself.

"Hello?"

"Yeah, I'm here," she sighed.

"Is everything alright, Steph?"

"Yep. Perfect, so I was just checking in and you've done that already, so I'm gonna hang up now. Goodbye," as she pushed the button. She let off a sigh to herself and she had to question everything he seemed to know---whatever Devyn knew, she had to find out.