28. Another Night

By the time Stevie was coming back to Lindsey's condo with her mother at her side, it was evening and she was getting ready to pick up the kids to drop them off at home with their grandmother.

As their mother walked through the door, both kids let off a disgusted groan.

"Well, it's good to see you guys too," the blonde rolled her eyes with a smirk as she shut the door behind her mother.

Barbara laughed, "This is a great place for you, Lindsey, and it's looking great!" she beamed as she roamed further into the living room.

"You can thank Stevie for that," he smiled and winked at his wife from the distance.

She smiled in return and she took a seat on one of the two dining chairs.

"How are you feeling, dear?" the older woman came over to tend to whatever he might have needed.

"Pack up your things, guys," the mother of two asked of them.

They obeyed and collected their things, but left the movies for their father just in case he got bored.

"I'm fine... Just out of it. I'm tired," he simply replied to his mother in-law. "By the way, Steph, I'm gonna need more juice. I've been drinking it nonstop since I didn't want to eat anything."

"Alrighty, I'll make you something to eat. Or did you want me to get something?"

"Fries sound good..." he pursed his lips.

"Alright, I'll pick some up on the way back."

"Thanks, my wallet's over there---take some money."

"It's fine," she shook her head.

The kids soon piped up when they had all of their belongings together.

"Bye, daddy," Devyn came over and she kissed his cheek as she clutched her books to herself.

"Bye, I love you," he responded, stroking her long wavy, though dark strands.

"See ya," Isaac came in and hugged him.

Lindsey kissed his son's head and ruffled his hair before letting him go.

"You guys can spend the day with him tomorrow," Stevie assured since she would have to clean up the house and figure out how she was going to do everything.

They all nodded.

"Feel better, honey," Barbara kissed his head and started trailing towards the door.

"Thanks, guys," he rose his brows at his wife because even the smallest amount of attention, it had him pretty embarrassed because it seemed like life and death to everybody.

She smirked and guided everybody out, "I'll be back," as she pulled the door shut behind her.

···

When his wife would return, she'd have a different bag full of stuff for her night.

"Moving in?" he smirked as she toted his bag of french fries.

"No," she chuckled. "Just all my shower stuff. Tomorrow, I just want to get up and go."

"I'm glad you're staying again," he said softly.

"Good, I don't mind and it gives me a bit of a break from the kids. I'm not even joking, but they behave great for my mom and if there's an emergency, I know Devyn can at least get them somewhere safely."

He smirked, "Guess that gift has already come in handy."

"Well, you know I was just angry and in shock that you were here and a gift like that is a little extravagant, though helpful since she seems to know what she's doing. And by the time she's sixteen, she can get a permit and start picking her brother up from school, just because she'll hate it and it helps me so I can stay at the office longer." She came over to hand him his dinner.