35. Restrictions and Perspective

Sitting in the waiting room of an office, Stevie kept busy by working on an upcoming report since she didn't want to waste the hour.

Today was Devyn's first appointment with the psychiatrist, so Lindsey had picked both kids up, dropped the girl off at the clinic and waited for Stevie to get there so Isaac didn't have to suffer for no reason.

Five minutes to five o'clock, the teenage girl came out with the doctor on her trail and the girl let off an eye roll when her eyes landed on her mother only because she didn't know she was going to pick her up and she preferred her father even if he wasn't exactly thrilled about everything.

"Hi, Mrs. Buckingham," the woman smiled.

"Hello," she stood and set her papers aside. "I'm sorry," she laughed lightly as she gathered her things in order to shake the woman's hand.

"It's a pleasure," she continued.

"Likewise. Listen, I know this is barely the first assessment, but uh... How did it go?" She had no idea what to ask and that didn't even seem like the right thing to ask, but she asked anyway.

"Very good. Devyn and I have talked and gotten to know each other and we started to talk about things. I think next week, we'll have more at hand."

"Great," she nodded and she stuffed her papers into her folders so that she could sling her purse over her arm.

"Devyn, I hope you have a good night," the woman replied.

"You as well," she smiled but then dropped it when she turned. "Where's dad?"

"He's with Isaac. They're gonna have a boys' night at his place and you're coming with me to have dinner at Ben's," she guided her out of the building.

"What?" she nearly conplained because her mother hadn't told her.

"Yep," she arched a brow. "And you will be nice and respectful for the evening."

"Will I?"

"Mhmm, otherwise you're gonna be on further restrictions."

"That's really unfair," she said aloud---a slight tone to her voice.

"It was also really unfair when you acted out in a way that would hurt your father and me, just because you were mad at me. But it doesn't matter, because as all the parents say, life is unfair."

···

At around six p.m., Stevie and Devyn arrived to Ben's penthouse and the girl did show interest in the building because it was large, but of course she followed her mother.

"You sure know your way around this place," the  girl implied of her mother's constant visits.

"I'm here often," she didn't hesitate to respond because she knew her daughter was trying to find ways to get under her skin.

They then approached Ben's door, where Stevie would knock.

"You better be on your best behavior because I swear I will add to your consequences," the blonde assured as she moved her hair to one side.

"Fine," she mumbled under her breath and she put her head down as she waited.

"You can be polite, sit down and do your homework, but when dinner is done and we sit at the table, you will be respectful and you will answer him if he asks you a question."

"I get it," she rolled her eyes.

"Okay, I'm just making sure--"

As Ben opened the door, "Hey," he leaned in.