32. Getting Comfortable

After Stevie had taken the kids home, she went over to Ben's since they had talked about meeting for dinner, just to hang out as they would and for the first time, she said yes since she was stressed out and sex wasn't even in her mind, it was a drink she wanted, and quiet. As two people in the same line of work, they knew how to give each other quiet to think and work.

"So, what do you wanna do? Dinner and come back here? Do you want me to make dinner and then maybe we could go out..." he kind of lingered in question only because she was slightly unpredictable in the last weeks.

"Well, to be frank, I don't really want to go out..." she pursed her lips as if that weren't the right answer, because she wanted to appease him as well.

"Okay, we'll stay in, but what can I do to make you feel comfortable? I know you don't love to talk out your issues as I've learned, but what should I do?"

She smiled, teeth showing only because a laugh was following it. She just couldn't believe his words; how willing he was to put her first. She shook her head and came near just to plaster her lips to his and combing her fingers through the roots of his hair, "You are just so sweet."

He chuckled, "I just want you to be feeling your best because you seem off."

Staring blindly, "I am, but I don't really think it's all that appropriate to talk about. I've gotten quite vulnerable with you, but I don't want to make you crazy by just listening to what goes on in my head."

"Well, I wouldn't think you're crazy. We're not in control of what comes to our minds, but what we decide to focus on. You should know that one because you are quite domestic. You're a little more wild than I thought, but it suits you. The finding adventure and being outgoing, it's more or less..."

"In the bedroom, right?" she chuckled, knowing that since Lindsey had brought it up before.

"Yeah," he laughed. "I was gonna say with your affection, but if you want to be blunt about it."

She arched her brows in return, smiling nearly sarcastically.

"But like I said, it suits you. It brings in genuine passion. It isn't just a beautiful woman on the outside as some might think. You know, you really have it all---it's amazing."

"But do I really?" she smirked. "I'm as messed up as they come. I'm basically having an affair in which my husband knows about, therefore I am not hiding, but it sounds crazy."

"It does," he smirked. "But you just have to know what's truly going on to not look at it in an ill fashion."

"You're right," she nodded gently. "I mean, I am having quite the time with you, my friend. It's been interesting though fulfilling."

"I'll say..."

She rose her glass to her lips, sipping slowly since she didn't want to drink too much like the previous night and she wanted to be on time to get ready for work.

This was the first time she would be spending the night at his house during the week, getting ready with him in the morning for them to both get to work. It would most definitely be different, but as of the last passing hours, she was looking forward to going to bed with him and waking up with him at her side; he was the best distraction ever while also making her feel incredible. And that was something that was also tough.

Lindsey knew how to make her feel incredible too and there was something about the way he pecked cheeks with her, was on the same page as her when they were discussing Devyn's doings. It was something she had been waiting for since she had had both babies. She had always wanted them to be a team when the kids were of age to be needing a stern talking to. She wanted every good and bad aspect of parenting and for the first time, she got it, but they were separated---leaving to different homes at night and she wasn't even coming to their own home. They didn't get to go to bed together, they didn't get to talk about their days, they didn't get to make love after a meal---it was just a distant relationship involving their kids when need be.