38. Saying Goodbye

The next morning would arrive and much to her dismay, Stevie would wake up in her own bed and alone, not to mention she was in her pajamas.

Sighing to herself, she had to really think back to who initiated the sex she knew she had with her husband and she had to think if it was a big mistake because he wasn't supposed to be in any sort of relationship.

Pretty soon, there was a knock on her bedroom door and her head flew up quickly.

"Mom, it's me..." Devyn mentioned.

"Come in," she assured and she brought her knees to her chest.

The girl walked in, her hair a wavy mess as she hugged her robe in place. She shut the door behind her and she got on to sit at the foot of the bed.

"What's up?" the blonde commenced, not even seeing the slight uneasiness of her child since she herself was a wreck after the night she had.

"I didn't do anything at all with... with him," keeping her head down as she spoke. "I was just angry, mom, that I lied to you and dad."

"Why?" was really the only question she had for her.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I didn't think anybody would find out and I didn't really think anything would happen. He dumped me because I was too scared to. I thought he was nice and when we talked the day I planned to sneak out, I didn't know he was going to bring drugs or alcohol. But I decided to drink to try to loosen up because you've said that helps your nerves sometimes. I was trying, but I couldn't and then before I knew it, you guys were there and daddy was so upset and then the cops were there and I was always more scared than I was mad."

"That's because you knew you shouldn't have done anything at all," she said simply and softly since she had her own things to deal with. "Sweetheart, I don't understand what it is that you are going through, even though I was your age once. But dad and me were different and everything is so different..." she sighed a little only because her head was wrapped around the night before.

"I know and I just wanted to tell you that I like seeing Veronica---she's really nice. She's helped me a lot, I think, I feel calmer with her help."

"Okay. I always thought maybe you just needed a little something more than just me. I never thought about it often enough to put it to action, but then dad and your brother thought the same thing. You just need a push."

"Is there something wrong with me?" she stressed. "Why do I feel the need to cause tension---I didn't mean to make you guys angry at each other, but I wanted it to happen. I don't know why that is."

"There's nothing wrong with you, baby. You just have gone through a lot since you were little that now, it was odd to see me and dad in a different place. You've only seen us together or you've seen me cry over him. I can't really explain, but later, maybe you and Veronica can chat about it better."

"Okay," she nodded. "I'm sorry, mom," she slid off the bed and she made her way out.

Once alone, the blonde let off a sigh and she was back to thinking about her spouse.

···

When the kids were upstairs, cleaning their rooms and doing their chores, Stevie called her husband on the phone because she thought a chat was in order.

"Hello?"

"Hey..." she trailed for a second. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing, how about you?"

"Well, quite frankly, I've been thinking a whole lot and um, I'd like to know what last night meant... But I just wanted to tell you that Devyn fessed about what happened that night."