46. Falling into Place

Getting home, Stevie rushed off the car---not really meaning to but because she wanted to tell Lindsey the news.

Even though they'd still be sneaking around for the next while due to the kids and weaving out of her relationship with Ben, she was still happy to be with him full time. It just felt worth sharing immediately even if it hurt her just a little bit.

When she broke up with Ben, she did it pretty straightforwardly and she kind of regretted being so brusque but she just knew it had to be done. Part of her really did love Ben to no end---the part in which was telling her to go ahead just to see where they would go was yelling at her for breaking up with him. She was  a little heartbroken because they shared a fair amount of time together, but she had hoped Lindsey would fix that for her over time.

As she made her way inside the house, she noticed the kids were home but Lindsey wasn't in the room.

"Hi, mom, how'd your presentation go?" Isaac asked, caring enough to peel his eyes off the television screen.

"Really good," she assured with a smile as she took her blazer off. "My boss really liked it."

"You look pretty, by the way," Devyn commented, barely glancing at her mother from her peripherals.

"Thank you," she kind of giggled as she sat down in the arm chair.

Nobody really saw their mom or daughter in the morning since she still got up early during the week and they didn't have to while it was summer break. Lindsey was an early riser so he'd often see her, then of course if she decided to sneak into his room, he'd see a lot more of her.

After chatting with her children for a few moments, she got up and made her way toward the kitchen.

"Oh, you do look lovely, dear," her mother mentioned as soon as she came to clear view.

"Thanks. Where's Lindsey?" she crossed her arms comfortably as she leaned against the counter.

"He's by the pool," she gestured. "He stepped out for a phone call."

"Oh..." she went over and she peeked outside, just to see him slowly walking back and forth, chatting happily with whomever.

"Tell him dinner's almost ready," the older woman encouraged since she could tell her daughter was practically drooling over him as she gazed thoroughly.

"Okay," she immediately put her hand to the knob and she slowly made her way out.

Lindsey looked up when he heard the door. "I'll call you back, Stevie just got home," he rambled rather quickly before hanging up and slipping his phone into his pocket.

As she approached him, she had her arms sort of hugging herself, her long-sleeved creamy and slightly frilly blouse a gorgeous statement to her brown pants that were a dark chocolate brown.

"Hey," he grinned, ready to open his arms to her, but he knew he couldn't with his mother in-law and everybody inside.

"Hi," she smiled softly.

"You look great---how did it all go?"

"Really well," she said, her eyes soft as she sort of thought back to breaking up with Ben. "Mom told me to tell you dinner's almost ready since you were out here on the phone..."

"Oh, it was just a manager---last check should be coming soon."

"Oh," she nodded slightly timid only because his presence brought her a type of high school giddiness she hadn't felt in a long time. She then kind of looked around and she gestured for him to follow her so nobody inside could see them. She brought him deeper within the backyard. "This is a little more private," she added.