49. Where We Left Off

A couple weeks would fly by and in that time would Stevie avoid her spouse at all costs, would Lindsey be staying in his apartment full-time, would they go back to what was normal only months ago when the kids were back and fotth, just going to school while their mom went to work.

In the past two weeks, the blonde was filled with turmoil unknowing of what she wanted to do in life. She didn't really know if she was supposed to talk to Lindsey and let him explain his side of the story, something that she didn't really want to do because as long as she could remember it had been the same thing. The only thing different was that it was a woman instead of alcohol. Never had he demeaned her in front of her before and she didn't like it.

Gathering her things to go home from work, she decided that making a stop was next on her agenda. She had to get how she felt off her chest and she couldn't think of a better way than visiting an old friend.

Without hesitation, she traveled through the building and when she reached the door she was looking for, she knocked, but then averted her eyes to the ground---waiting patiently.

The door opened.

When his shoes came into her view, she picked her head up and made eye contact.

"Stevie..." Ben said, very surprised. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

Remaining quiet, she stepped forward and she wrapped her arms around him, embracing him tautly.

"What's going on?" he brought his hand to her back, kind of rubbing it gently---still his other hand stayed holding onto the doorknob.

"I really need someone," she pulled away, hand sliding down the side of his arm. "I don't know what I'm doing or what I want right now."

"Okay, come in... Let's talk," he gestured for her to come in.

"I'm not keeping you from anything, am I?" she quietly asked.

"No, I was just watching T.V.," he assured. "Would you like a glass of wine or something?"

"Sure," she nodded.

"Alright," he calmly replied. "Have a seat and make yourself comfortable," before heading to the kitchen for an extra glass.

Sniffling to herself, she stared blankly at his paused television set and she didn't move because she really didn't know what she wanted. She didn't know if she wanted to cheat in order to get back at her spouse, she didn't know if she needed the subtle attention, or if she just needed to vent and receive advice---she was lost. She was lost to the point that she had to think about coming over for about a week.

Re-entering, he came and he placed a glass of wine on the table in front of her. "So..." he lingered, taking a seat right by her while setting his hand on her knee. "What's on your mind?"

"I guess, I wanted to apologize again for the way I acted on the day of the presentation..." she turned her head a bit.

"Stevie, it's in the past and I'm over it. You should be too, you told me you don't like to dwell."

"I don't, but I feel bad."

"Don't. Look, I want to help you now, so tell me what's wrong," he urged.

"It's just... Lindsey and me..." she paused for a moment. "I don't know what to think. I think he's seeing another woman and I should have known before getting so involved. Ben, I'm sorry for coming here and I think I came here for something else. I just don't know ehat I'm doing."

"Okay, well, how do you know?"

"I answered his phone a couple weeks ago, he was in the shower and he'd been on the phone with the kids off and on that day. I just thought it was them and it was a woman looking for him. When I told her who I was, she said she had heard all about me. I don't know anything about her at all---her name barely clicked. It was Natasha---the girl I thought Devyn made up to which Lindsey defended was just a friend."