Chapter 39 - Family Preparations

Sansa hummed to herself as she prepared herself and Loki for the journey. She neatly folded a few of his shirts and overcoats and slipped them into bags that Loki would tuck away in the Nether Realm to bring to Midgard. She wanted him to be very well presented and represented when coming face to face with his former advisories. Now, of course, Sansa understood that he had done battle with them under the influence, but the affects were still the same. They would hate him and he hated them. There was nothing else to be said. Sansa would defend him with every fiber of her being and if any of them attempted to harm him, she would kill them. That was when the door to their chambers opened and she looked up, seeing Loki entering. He smiled at her, closing the door and walking towards her slowly. 

"How did the council meeting go?" Sansa asked as she examined her rapier. Alfhiem was laying on the bed beside the bag, watching Loki briefly before he licked his paw.

"Went well. Your younger brother, Brandon, is the new Three-Eyed Raven," Loki stated. Sansa straightened up and raised her eyebrow at him.

"Ah ha!" was all she said. 

"Not surprised or not sure?" Loki queried as he circled the bed, keeping his distance for a time.

"Not sure. And not surprised that it is somebody in my family. I just thought it would be one of my children," Sansa responded.

"Bran and I entered the spirit world, and we met Mother and Mother. They said that Rhaenar, Dhaerin, and Dagmar could have been possibilities. But, their fates lie elsewhere," Loki answered and Sansa turned to him, looking genuinely concerned. Loki walked up to her and put his hands on her hips, his thumbs rubbing soothing circles into her sides. 

"What does that mean? For them? Will they be taken away from me?" Sansa asked, her lips trembling. Loki gently shushed her and pulled her in close.

"You know that we will do everything we can to protect them. My mother wanted to protect me from my own heritage. And I found out and I dealt with it as best I could," Loki said and Sansa pulled away from him for a second, with an expression on her face.

"You were tortured by a Mad Titan, then you tried to take over Midgard, and you basically died avenging your mother. I think it was not dealt with in the healthiest way," Sansa reminded. She was not being cruel or anything; she was merely reminding her husband of what he and others had suffered. 

"What are you, my therapist?" Loki teased.

"Isn't that the duty of every spouse?" Sansa challenged.

"Good point," Loki answered, before he turned her around, wrapped his arms around her waist and started to suck on her ear.

"You're trying to distract me," Sansa stated.

"Hm mmm," Loki hummed in response. 

"You will not succeed," was all Sansa said as she turned to face him and took on the visage of Sif.

"Ah! Good thing Sandor isn't here. Otherwise, you might break his poor little heart even more," Loki commented, and Sansa frowned.

"That is not a laughing matter to him. He was very downtrodden when she left. I have kept tabs on him over the years and he has not taken another woman. He was in love with her," Sansa reminded. Loki's brow furrowed a little and he stepped away from her. He knew that Clegane had not been with any woman since Sif returned to Asgard. The love that he had had for the woman who had helped in breaking Loki's heart was astounding. Loki did not begrudge her that happiness. He knew that once she found a true love that his curse on her would be lifted; but he did not actually think she would leave him without a forwarding address.

"Whether or not he was in love with her makes no difference. She still left. Although, there is hope in this future conflict. If the fighting escalates, Thor will react to save his beloved Midgard," Loki pointed out. 

"You parted on amicable terms. Why do you still persist in poking fun at him?" Sansa posed as she rolled her eyes and finished packing the bags. 

"Because he's fun to poke. And I know another person who will also enjoy teasing him," Loki said and Sansa heaved a long suffering sigh.

"Ragna must be controlled. She would destroy all of them if she thought she could. You know how she feels about the ones you dislike. She despises them for what they've 'done' to you. Our daughter might be relatively level-headed, but sometimes, she actually allows her emotions to rule her," Sansa said. Loki laughed lightly and held his wife under the chin. 

"That is why a child has two parents: one to cherish and one to mold," Loki said.

"Neither of us fit either of those stereotypes entirely. While I molded some children, you molded others and vice versa. However, Ragna was a creation all her own. That is why I fear for her the most," Sansa admitted. 

"As a good parent, I know you will fear; but since it pertains to Ragna, I would ask you not to fear. Ragna will find her path, and cut down all those who oppose her. Every once in a while, we must remind her of her humanity," Loki responded.

"She will need constant reminding then. And a man with a heart of gold and a will of steel," Sansa declared and Loki paused. Despite what his wife believed, he had contemplated who Ragna might marry. Loki had been scouting throughout all of Westeros and the lands to the east to find her a suitable match. He had tested men for years to see if they were worthy and strong enough to be her husband. None ever were. That was when he had decided to that there was no man in all the Known Realm who could stand beside her.

One of the reasons I sent her to Midgard. Once I go, I will look for her as I know she will not look for herself. I hope the Fates are kind and do not make it one of the Avengers!