18. I'll be there, for you.

Chapter 18.

I'll be there, for you.

'The best party I've ever been in my life.'

That was written under Chan's new post picture on Instagram.
A picture of us, drinking the orange alcoholic beverage while I look aside and laugh.
I stared at my phone screen as I lied on my bed, awake at 3am.
I called Eva a few times, but she didn't pick up her phone, so I left a few messages for her.
After we came back from the party, Noah went to the hotel his parents were staying at and to my surprise, my parents were already asleep.
I stared at Chan's picture for a long time, thinking about all the whispered words that were said tonight, a few hours ago, all that happened...
it was crazy, to be in love with my best friend and not to show him the love I have for him, it got me thinking if he had feelings for me as well, because he was acting a bit weird, a little overprotective... a little bit daring than other times.
Under the picture Chan posted on Instagram, there was a pink heart emoji.
It had already thirteen-comments on it, yet, I didn't think about commenting on this one.

Vernooo- What a hot thing, Chan you're ok too bru.
Leechun- Shut up hyung😊
Callmesoon10- wowowow
Callmesoon10- when did that happen hehueh
Callmesoon10- did you drink!!!!!!
Leechun- noooo😊
Yerinah- looks like you had a lot of fun tonight oppa!
Leechun- I had a great time! Until my hyung ruined everything😊
Yerinah- I wish I was there too☹
Leechun- there's always next time haha good night yerin-ah!
Yerinah- haha right! Good night oppa!
Steviekim- look at my boi getting wasteeeeed
Leechun- haaaaaa

I looked at Yerin's private Instagram account, her profile picture was her in a mini dress and a Korean typical slim body with a long black hair and black bangs.
She must be from his school, but he never mentioned her before, although she's always liking his posts, on this one she had to leave a comment...
I pushed my phone away, trying to think about some other things, as my phone rings with a new message.

My heart started beating so fast, I couldn't relax from seeing Chan's message on my phone.

BestieChan: I posted our picture on insta, if you don't like it tell me... I'll delete it, although I love it so much~ making more memories with you Noona is the best! You're one in a million, remember that. Good night, sweet dreams, Noona~

He's keeping me up all night, with wild thoughts running through my mind, I sent him a pink heart emoji and a short good night message before I started to laugh from reading his message again, with his voice reading it in the background of my thoughts.
I am in love with my best friend, and I can't help it.
I placed my phone with his picture on my heart, I fell asleep like that on the night of the party.

Chan got really sick, after the party.
I called him a few times, but he didn't answer, so I called Soonyoung, but he said he haven't seen him since the party, so I decided to check on Chan by walking to his home.
His dad let me in with a sweet smile that resembled Chan, he hugged me as always did, asking shortly about my life,
"Thanks, father, I'm fine. Is Chan home?"
He patted my head, laughing his sweetest light laughter.
"Well, he is, since he got cold."
My eyebrows draw in confusion.
"Oh my god, is he alright?"
"He is, now... I'm glad you came to visit us! He's in his room." Chan's dad is smiling at me, pointing at the stairs.
I bowed at him and I went up.
As I knocked on his door, a husky voice replied to me quickly.
"Yes?" in Korean.
"Chan-ah? It's me!" as I placed my hand on the door handle, the door opened.
Chan looked the same, but with rosy cheeks and a red nose.
"Noona!" his voice rose as he saw me, Chan's dad heard his son's happy voice from the first floor, laughing to himself.
Chan started to walk back, pouting while saying;
"I'm sick so don't come near-"
I walked closer to him and wrapped my arms around his body, as if he's melting in my arms, I felt it.
"Bestie..." I hold his head close to my chest.
"You'll get sick too!- Noona!" he's trying so hard to pull away, but I hold him tight.
"I don't care! You should've told me you're sick!"
He sighed, wrapping his arms around my body slowly, hugging me back as I feel his warmth covering me.
"I missed you..." he's saying quietly, "I missed your scent..."
I smiled as I hummed while looking at the framed picture of him and me, on his desk.
"I missed you too, Chan-ah."
We haven't seen each other for only one day, and he already got sick like this.
That day, I sat with him by his side, in his bedroom, as we ate the noodles soup his dad made.
"You're taking care of me and I don't know how I can thank you-" I try to feed him up with a full spoon of soup.
"Shut up." I say as he takes a sip from the spoon, carefully.
I watch his lips closing on the spoon as he eats it deliciously, and just then, I catch his eyes that are looking at me with crinkles around the corners.
I place the spoon on the desk as I look at him.
He's coughing.
"If you'll get sick, I don't know what I'll do to myself, Noona." He's saying, turning his gaze at me.
"I won't."
"Huh? You can't guarantee that!" Chan is whining, I start to laugh.
"If I'll get sick, you'll take care of me, alright?" I say.
I watch him nodding slowly as he starts drinking the soup from his bowl, eyeing me while he's drinking it all. He slurps and sniffs as he's finishing.
"Your dad is a great cook."
"I know, we had a Chinese restaurant when I was little, in south Korea." Chan's placing his bowl while I'm listening and finishing my soup.
"So, he knows how to make it tasty."
"I love your dad." I say as I place the bowl near Chan's empty one.
I look up to see him smiling.
"He loves you too." What a proud smile, as if he won something, he looks better now, though.
"I'm glad, by the way, you look way better now, I guess it's because of the soup." He's nodding and giggling, but then, he places his hand on my knee.
"It's because you came. You healed me." He places his chin on the palm of his hand, looking at his desk now.
I place my hand on his warm hand that is resting on my knee, make him turn his head.
We look at each other for a few seconds without saying anything.
He's softly smiling at me as I smile back at him.
Of course, I'll always be there to heal you.
I raise my hand and pat his back a several times gently.
"Now... you should rest." He's shaking his head no. I laugh from the childish reaction of his.
"I don't want to rest." He says firmly, coughing.
the way his hair looks messy just makes me want to play with it until he'll fall asleep on my lap.
He blinks as if he wants to tell me something, I sigh and look at his face.
"We have our tournament in tennis, this Friday..." Oh shit, I almost forgot!
I nod in excitement.
"Will you be there?" he asks, dryly.
I start laughing, I hit him lightly on his shoulder.
"I'll be there with your family, of course!"
"Noona." He's fixing his serious gaze on me, turning with his chair to sit in front of me, instead of beside me.
"What?"
"It's this Friday." He's saying again.
This Friday, alright.
I smile at him and nod, a little confused.
"Your flight to North Carolina is this Friday, Noona." He's saying with a dry tone.
Shit! No way!
oh my god, how could I forget?

"Is it?" I try to pretend that I don't remember. Chan sighs.
"You told me it's your grandmother's birthday and you have a flight to North Carolina."
Shit.
I hum while I look at him.
"It's alright, Noona, I'll-" I take his hand and he stops talking in the middle of his sentence, looking at me with his widened Asian eyes.
"I'll be there for you, Chan-ah." I say without thinking.
My mom will kill me and won't let me stay here for his game, I don't know how I am supposed to stay here, but something in my heart is so sure I am going to attend his tournament.
"How?" he asks with a confused look on his face.
"You know me, Chan-ah, I'll be there." I say, "Don't worry about it, I'll be there." I say again, within seconds, my arms were wrapped around his neck, hugging him close while were sitting in front each other.
I'll be there.
"It's your grandmother, Noona..." he whispers while I feel his warmth covering me.
"I know." I whisper back.
"You need to rest to gain some strength for the practices you have... you know that." He hummed to my words, saying nothing more.
We stayed like this for the following moments, hugging each other in the silence.