22. That Christmas, that promise.

Chapter 22.

That Christmas, that promise.

2016, December.

This Christmas was special, yet the most changing one.
The December winds came together with the lovely scent of this time of year.
Christmas is approaching and everyone is preparing for the holiday, since we are a traditional family, my dad returned from North Carolina to celebrate this holiday with mom and I.
The trees in the neighborhood were covered with Christmas lights and houses were covered especially with colorful toys for the holiday, the atmosphere was completely different this year, although we barely celebrated last year because my dad was away from home.
This year something was about to change and I felt it... After all these years this Christmas was better than any other holiday I've ever had.

But I had a lot of work, plus I had the exam for the arts university in North Carolina by the end of December.

Eva told me that the forecasters said in the news that it will snow this holiday, and I couldn't believe it... because it had been 15 years since it snowed in this neighborhood.

Every day at work felt different this December, lots of tourists came to our coffee and the days became extremely busy, I learned to make new coffee drinks with my co-worker, Daniel, and as the days went by I realized that the only times I see my best friends is only on weekends for a few minutes.
Vernon was busy since he was planning a trip to New York to visit his mom's family there, Soonyoung was busy with his dad's business, Eva was busy searching for college in our area and Chan... the truth is... day after day, he came with his motorbike and took me from work.
Especially on the days when I would close the coffee, he would drop me off at home but keep talking on the phone hours after that, there were also days when one of us would fall asleep in the middle of a call.
Our friendship slowly started to change, it base on phone calls rather than a face-to-face meeting, like we used to do once, but my feelings were deep for him and I thought I would never be able to control them.

"So, what are you doing this Christmas?" My eyes look up at the ceiling as I play with my hair, I lie on my bed in the dark, after a busy day at work, the best thing to end this day was talking to Chan into the night.
The clock shows it is two in the morning already.
In a week, we'll be celebrating the Christmas Eve and our house is already decorated for the holiday.
"My grandparents are coming to celebrate with us, but right after Christmas eve my parents are leaving for a triple date with... Yerin's parents."
I stop blinking as I hear Chan's words.
"Oh." I hum.
"That means... I'm alone on this holiday since Hyun-jin is celebrating at his friend's house the rest of the week."
"Alone? You're not going with your parents?" I am confused, I thought he's going with his parents for the triple date thing?
I hear Chan's jumpy laughter through the other line.
"Nope, what's your plans for this holiday?"
"We're going to have the Christmas dinner and then my dad will leave for his business back in North Carolina, but nothing special."
"Nothing special?" he sounds so... surprised.
"No. nothing special." I giggle.
"It is very special, since you have a loving family to celebrate this... great holiday."
Chan's mind always fascinated me in some way, he is so traditional in his heart and he appreciates the little things in life that always leaves me out of breath.
He makes me smile and giggle like a little girl while I think about his words.
"You're right, I'm just being so ungrateful for all the things that I have."
He giggles along.
"Since you and that Yerin girl are friends, why aren't you going with your-?"
"Because I got plans." He answers right away without letting me to end my sentence, I hum in reply.
Chan had a serious fight with Yerin, but he didn't tell his noona about it because it was too personal.
Yerin has a boyfriend that once saw Chan with her, acting openly and smiley with her and so they fought because of this.
The boyfriend and Yerin, fought because of her acting so openly with other guys, and that made her keep her feet away from Chan, at first Chan felt at ease, because he wasn't interested in her in any romantic way, he was just nice to her because he is nice to anyone, but once she showed him her ugly face, she opened up to him and told him the truth about her boyfriend, but Chan couldn't realize that she had feelings for Chan as well, as she tried to kiss him after telling him about her having a strict boyfriend. They fought and she ran away, crying, of course Chan apologized to her, but he couldn't do anything else, he told her he's not into being in any romantic relationship, especially when she has a boyfriend and wished her to be happy.
That's how their story ended.
Keeping that away from Lee's ears was his decision, since she is very busy recently and he barely sees her, if he will ever tell her about that, it would probably be face-to-face.

"Anyways, I sense that this Christmas is going to be very special." Chan says after a break of a few moments of thinking.
"Yeah." I hum.
"It's going to snow this holiday-"
"Yeah, bullshit." I chuckle it off.
"You don't believe that," he chuckles as well.
"Nah, I bet it's going to be really hot this holiday, all sunny and-"
"Sweaty," Chan is completing my sentence and we burst out laughing together.
I loved to listen to both of us laughing, I loved the feeling, as if I had his heart next to mine whenever we laughed together.
"It's already so late," I gaze up at the clock, he hums in agreement.
"Sleep tight, Nooni-yah." I'm having shivers all over my body from his voice, whispering those words to me through the phone.
"You too, Joong-chan-ah."
I hear him laughing through the other line.
"Your Korean accent is really amazing; I should teach you Korean sometime..." he talks his thoughts out loud.
"I think you should, it would be fun talking to you in Korean." I nod to myself, smiling widely as I grip on my pillow from the happiness that is showering my body.
"We were meant to be-" I was about to end this sentence as well, but his voice was cutting me off, saying; "Totally."
My eyes widened, I blink in confusion as my heart beats increases.
"Friends." I say quickly, "Oh, yeah," he breathes out.
"Good night." I felt my cheeks reddening so fast and I couldn't control my mouth, so I tried to end the call as fast as I could.
"Night." He said quickly, before I hung up and dropped my phone on my bed.
We were meant to be...
Totally...
My heart wasn't calm from all the feelings and the emotions I felt within me.
I thought about how I wanted my body to be embraced by your arms only, I wanted you to hold me as a man and I didn't know for how long I will be able to control my mouth, feelings and my whole self, around you, when I see your face.