|| 36 ||

I lift my things in the car, before closing the (trunk? Boot?) exhaling. I smile. New York. A state I've never been to before, that was definitely on my bucket list. Robert's already in the car, adjusting a few things, before he turns the car on.

"Got everything?" Robert calls.

"I think so!" I say, opening the car door.

"Alright! Let's go!" He exclaims, pulling out of the driveway. I take a selfie of the two of us, before putting it on my story.

"Ew I look gross in that photo," Robert says, pulling a face.

"So do I, but it's too late now," I smile.

"Oh. Great,"

"Don't worry too much! We're going to New York! There's no way you're going to get past me without a billion photos being taken. Especially of you, because I love your face," I say before putting my phone down. He sighs, yet smiles. We listen to music and sing along, before we reach the airport.

We walk inside, wheeling all of our things in. We do all of the boring stuff, before our flight is called to board.

I sigh. I've done this too often. We walk on the plane, as I kiss it with my hand. We take our seats. I'm at the window seat, with Rob next to me.

A girl, perhaps of the age of 16 sits next to Robert. There's nobody else with her. Rob and I look at each other, confused. Is she travelling on her own?

"Hi!" She says cheerfully.

"Uh, hi!" Robert says, unsure. "Are you travelling alone?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'm going to see a few musicals on my own,"

"On your own?" I pipe in.

"Yeah, I've been saving up," She smiles.

"Wait. You're paying for this yourself?" Rob asks.

"I sure am! Except I have nowhere to stay, I haven't figured that out yet," She frowns, getting panicky.

I look at Rob and he immediately nods.

"I know we like, don't know each other at all, but you're more than welcome to stay with us. We're also going to see musicals," I offer.

"That's so nice of you! I'll definitely consider it!" She nods, smiling again.

"So what's your name?" I ask.

"Aliyah," She replies.

"That's a lovely name!" I say.

"Thank you! What are your names?"

"I'm Y/N, this is Robert," I say motioning towards myself and then to Robert.

"How long are you staying in New York?" Robert asks.

"Probably a week, but I haven't booked the flight back home yet," She answers.

"Oh wow. We'll be here for a week," I say grinning.

"So are you two, like, a couple?" She asks us.

"Uh, yeah," I laugh.

"Cool! This should be interesting then," She says, and I blush.

"So what musicals are you watching?" I ask.

"Beetlejuice and Dear Evan Hansen" She replies opening her phone.

"Wow. Ok now that's really weird. We're watching Dear Evan Hansen too," Robert says. Aliyah laughs in response.

Just then, we're told to put on our seatbelts, before the plane takes off. Aliyah sticks in earphones, deep in thought. Most likely contemplating the offer.

I also put in some earphones, listening to music. It's so painful, not being able to belt songs, since we're on a plane.

Five hours flies by for some reason.

"I thought about what you said, and it would be amazing if I could stay with you guys," She says turning to us.

"Of course! Our pleasure!" I say smiling.

We get out of the plane and find our suitcases. Thankfully, they're the first few, meaning we can get out as soon as possible.

We get an Uber, and with Aliyah by our side, hop in. It's at least a half an hour drive, so we talk a bit more.

"How old are you guys?" Aliyah asks.

"I'm 26," Robert says smiling.

"I just turned 25. This is my birthday present," I laugh softly.

"Aw. Did you Robert give it to you?" She swoons.

"Yeah, along with some other friends," I blush.

"That's cute," She chuckles. "I'm 15, turning 16 in a week,"

"Oh! So will we be able to celebrate your birthday with you? Or will you be home by then?" I ask.

"I lied. It's actually in 5 days, so yes, you will," She grins.

"Oh I can't wait then!" I say excitedly. "But wait. You aren't celebrating it with your family?"

"My family and I don't get along very much," She sighs.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Robert soothes.

"It's ok," She shrugs.

We pull up to the hotel that we're staying at, and grab all of our belongings. We're given our keycard, and we hop in the elevator.

"I'll take the stairs," Aliyah blushes, walking away.

"What? Why? We're on level 10!"

"I'm deathly afraid of elevators. I'd rather walk," She says, before the elevator door closes.

We reach the tenth floor and wait for Aliyah. About a minute or two later, a panting Aliyah comes from the stairs.

"Totally worth it," She breathes. We open the door to our room, and it's the prettiest hotel room I've ever seen. It's decorated with marble and white lights. My favourite look.

"This is gorgeous," Robert says looking around.

"I agree," I nod. Then I realise. We only have two beds. I wasn't thinking.

"We only have two beds," I say frantically.

"That's ok, I can sleep on the couch, it's chill," Aliyah suggests.

"No, that's so wrong," Robert shakes his head. "Y/N and I can just share a room. We've done it before," He says.

He's right. It just feels weird.

"He's right. We'll share a room, you take the other one,"

"Thanks so much!" She smiles before racing to the bedroom. We go to ours. Thankfully, it's big. I sprawl all of my stuff on the floor, before collapsing on the bed.

"I'm starving," I complain, clutching my stomach. Robert laughs at me.

"Then let's go out to eat something," He suggests. I nod.

"Hey Aliyah, we're gonna go out to eat," I say walking to her room.

"Cool," She replies. Then I go back to the room to change.

"It's still really weird that Aliyah's travelling on her own,"

"You're right," Robert replies.

"Like how does she pay for everything herself?" I ponder.

We walk out on the loud, breezy streets. It's not too cold, which is a good thing. Then we walk side by side to a nearby restaurant.

A/N This is probably getting boring and unnecessary now huh. Please tell me your honest thoughts!

Written
3rd November 2019
WC: 1094