12. Up All Night

When it was time for dinner, Liam was already sleepy. He was lying in bed, reading a magazine with one eye open. Faith was still bubbling with energy. She was hungry and restless, lying stomach down on the couch with one leg on the floor, flipping channels on the television.

“French television is so boring. I want to watch a movie. Hey! Do you want to watch a movie?”

Liam didn’t bother to respond, so she got off the couch and walked up to him. She snatched his magazine and hid it behind her back. “Movie?”

“No!” he rolled his eyes. “I’m so freaking tired talking all day. How do you do that? And look at you! You’re still fresh.”

“I’m hungry! Let’s go down for dinner!”

“No, I’ll have dinner in bed.” He picked up the telephone on the nightstand to order his dinner.

“But I want to dine there! They must have really nice furniture and cutlery!” her eyes beamed. “I’ve never been to a 5-star hotel before you know!”

“Nope.” He said. He went on and ordered dinner for two. Faith made a sad face and stared at him until he was moved.

“Alright you ass.” He finally gave in. He canceled the order and they dressed up for dining in the hotel dining hall instead.

Liam knew that if the news of his supposed wedding got out to the media, it could get dangerous for him as well as Faith. His mom would probably die of a heart attack. He wore huge sunglasses and a coat that had a collar large enough to fit in the Eiffel tower. His face was almost covered up.

“You look like a freak right now.” Faith said, looking at the menu.

“Do you want to be introduced on television as Liam Armstrong’s wife?”

“Oh.” Faith got it. Faith finally got it.

They ordered, and their food arrived. Faith had a visual treat first, and then started munching on the food like this was the last day of her life. They were dining peacefully, until a young man came up to their table and spilled wine on Faith’s left shoulder.

“Oh, I’m so sorry miss.” He said in a heavy French accent. He eyed her vulgarly. Liam was never a womanizer, but he knew such guys very well. He sensed it immediately.

“No, it’s okay.” Faith shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

“Allow me.” He ran his fingers over her bare shoulders, pretending to wipe off the wine, but having deeper, bad intentions. Liam tightened his grasp around his fork out of rage. Faith smiled faintly, pulling away from the stranger’s touch. But he wouldn’t stop. He took her hand and kissed it.

“What is the beautiful lady’s name?”

Liam could not take it anymore. He got up and removed his sunglasses. He walked right up to the French guy and punched him in the face. The latter crumbled to the ground, with a bleeding nose.

“Liam!” Faith was scared. “Let him go!” She went and held Liam’s arm. “Let’s get out of here.”

Liam pushed her away and glared at her. He took off his coat and threw it on the ground. His body had heated up due to all the anger. Adrenaline pumped through every vein in his body. Faith was scared of Liam now. It was her fault. She should have listened to him and stayed in. She went after him, desperate to apologize.

As Liam pressed the elevator button, he saw Faith appear, but she was cut off from his view as the door shut. His mind went back to two minutes earlier. Why did he get so angry? Why did he punch a stranger? Why did he not care if anyone saw when he threw away his coat and sunglasses? He leaned back on the elevator wall and closed his eyes. He ran his fingers through his hair and let out a sigh. What was happening to him? Why did it enrage him to see a man touching her? The elevator door opened, and there she was, panting and still looking pretty.

“I ran all the way up! I took…” She paused to breathe. “I took the stairs.”

He gave her another glare and walked straight to their suite. He left the door open for her and went to bed without changing. Faith was confused. Liam was angry, it was her fault. But why did he react so vigorously? It wasn’t like she was his girlfriend or anything. And Liam, for all she knew of him so far, could never have feelings. So what was the deal with him?

“Liam, I’m sorry.” She said, flatly, hoping that he’d just listen and remain quiet. She feared him lashing out at her.

“You’re sorry?” He got up, his tie out of place and his hair all ruffled and sexy. Her focus now automatically shifted to how he looked, from how he would react. “You’re sorry?” He shouted this time. Faith was pretty sure her heels cracked from the sound.

She pursed her lips and hung her head, hoping for him to forgive her. “Are you hurt?” she asked, noticing his blue knuckles.

“No. Why do you care?” He said, tucking his hand behind him.

“Why do you care?” She asked, looking him in the eye. “So damn much that you hit the guy.”

He was at a loss of words. He didn’t have the answer himself.

“Good night.” He said and turned out the lights as he slipped under the sheets. Faith changed and lied down beside him. She wished him good night, but he didn’t respond. She turned off the lamp on her side. It was dark now, and they were both pretending to be asleep. But, none of them could get any sleep, no matter how much they tried.

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!