41. His Birthday!

“Get up now, will you?” Faith tickled him and tried to lighten the atmosphere.

They got out of bed and reached for the door. Before they could open it, Haylee and his mom burst into the room, screaming ‘happy birthday’ with their hands thrown up in the air!

“Jesus!” Liam put one hand on his chest and the other on the wall to avoid tripping out of shock. “What was that?”

“That was a loving birthday wish!” Haylee hugged him with all her force and planted a kiss on his cheek. “Happy birthday oldie!”

“Yeah, you wish!” He chuckled. “Thanks! What did you get me?”

“Not so fast! The day has only just begun.” Haylee rolled her eyes. “Have patience, big brother.”

“Happy birthday! My baby grew up in the blink of an eye!” His mom hugged him.

“Thanks mom. You take twenty five years to blink?” He hugged her back.

“I’ll make you your favorite apple pie and stuffed chicken! Go freshen up!” His mom said.

After Liam was all ready, nicely combed hair and a black shirt, he came down. “Don’t I look adorable?” He asked, leaning against the staircase wall.

“I beg to differ!” Haylee raised her hand.

“Shut up Haylee. You look very handsome, darling.” Margaret beamed with pride at how good looking her son was.

She laid out a platter of mouth watering dishes. Haylee and Faith literally ogled at the food, but Margaret had asked them not to touch anything until Liam started eating. It was his birthday after all.

“What should I taste first?” Liam was taking all the time he wanted. Haylee and Faith glared at him.

“I think I’ll have a slice of the pie first. Oh no, I’ll have the soup.” He was changing his mind frequently, but never arriving upon a solid decision.

When Haylee’s stomach started to grumble, she picked up a piece of the stuffed chicken, got up from her chair and stuffed it into Liam’s mouth. “Happy birthday Liam!”

Faith was delighted, and she and Haylee immediately dug into the food. Margaret shook her head, while Liam stared at the two girls eating like this was the last day of their lives.

“Seriously.” He swallowed the piece of chicken. “You could put guys to shame.”

All of them laughed, and had breakfast like a family.

“That food was too rich for breakfast.” Faith complained.

“You seemed to enjoy it.” Liam put on a fake smile. “Seriously now, did you people not get me any gifts?”

“What an impatient bloke.” Haylee huffed and leaned across the sofa. She brought out a box from nowhere and handed it over to him. “Took me a month to decide your gift. And you just take in like five seconds into your birthday.”

He completely ignored her remarks, and unwrapped the gift. He put aside the wrapping paper and opened the lid of the box. Inside sat a very beautiful watch. It was platinum, Haylee claimed. The dial had diamonds encrusted in concentric circles and the chain was broad and shiny. Liam’s eyes gleamed.

“It did not take you a month, liar. This is like, the commonest gift ever. But I love it!” He did not for a moment take his eyes off the watch. “I’m gonna wear it right now.” He put it on and did not take it off for the rest of the day. Haylee was happy that he liked it. Margaret presented him with another gift. This one wasn’t wrapped, but had a ribbon very beautifully tied into the shape of a flower, sitting on top of the lid.