49. Too Late For The Truth...?

Haylee rested her head on her hand. Her brain felt like it would explode. How did Liam handle all this work?! She was almost crying but she kept on doing work on his behalf. She had promised him she would take care of it. She was on the verge of stretching her arms when the door flung open and her brother walked in.

“You?!” Her eyes popped out. “But you were supposed to come tomorrow!”

“You’re wearing formals?” Liam had his own reasons to be shocked as well.

“What do you expect me to wear to your boring office? Shorts and a tank top?” She rolled her eyes. “But hey! You didn’t answer my question!”

“I kind of had uh….” He murmured the last part in such a way that she couldn’t hear it. But she understood what he was trying to say.

“You both fought? Again? And this time you are playing the runaway princess, aren’t you?” She crossed her arms, irritation and frustration filling every inch of her face.

“Princess?” He cringed. “Did you just call me a princess?”

“You mean I endured a full day and a half of your boring, reckless work schedule for this?” Her voice was growing harsher. Liam could witness his baby sister turning into a beast.

“Hayles…”

“I’m gonna kill you Liam! And I’m gonna kill Faith!” She pulled at her hair in frustration. The poor girl had planned so effectively on bringing them back together and they just threw it away.

“Okay, I’m sorry?” He grinned, feigning nervousness.

“I’m not kidding, Liam. Just call her and apologize.”

“But it’s not my fault.” He thought for a while and rephrased his words. “It kind of is, but it’s her fault too.”

“What are you, twelve?” She glared at him. “Tell me what happened.”

Liam sat down in his revolving chair and narrated the entire incident to her. After she had listened to the whole thing, Haylee did a facepalm. “Faith is no good either. You are both morons.”

“Yeah, fine.” He got up. “I’ll try and fix it. Continue the work sister. I’m really tired.” He exited the office. Haylee groaned but she had no other option. She sat down and resumed her work.

Liam was on his way to his car when somebody hugged him from behind. He stopped in his tracks and looked behind to see who it was.

Of course. Who else?

The supermodel slash ex-crush.

“What are you doing here?” He said, irritated. “Because I really have no intention of talking to you.”

“You know you can’t avoid it forever, Liam. You know you still love me.” She confidently lied.

“What?” he chuckled. “Keep dreaming. Now get out of my way.”

“Ouch. You’re hurting me.” She smiled. “Look me in the eyes and say that it didn’t break your heart when I chose Mike over you.”

She caught him off guard with that one. Liam froze. The memories came back again. It still hurt. He had no feelings for Scarlett anymore, but it still hurt a lot. Heartbreaks aren’t easy to get over. He turned to face her. “What do you want?”

Liam was not expecting what happened next. Scarlett didn’t even give him a warning before abruptly pressing her lips against his and throwing her arms around his body. The kiss was unexpected. Liam froze for a moment, but then he was very much aware of it. He didn’t kiss her back, but neither did he stop her. He knew this wasn’t right. So he grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her away. She jerked backwards.

“You’re still hurting my feelings Liam.” She made a puppy face. “Call me if that meant something.” She turned and started walking. A sly smile appeared on her face.

Liam drove back home, thinking what he would say to Faith. It wasn’t his fault obviously, but he didn’t stop it. He felt like his heart was being eaten up from inside. One thing he knew for sure. He couldn’t tell Faith. She hadn’t taken a girl flirting with him too well, forget about Scarlett kissing him. There was no way he was losing Faith. He tried to convince himself. This WASN’T his fault. Scarlett threw herself at him; it wasn’t like he kissed her back. Moreover, he did shove her off himself, albeit a bit late. Though he wasn’t feeling completely guilt free, he did manage to comfort himself somewhat.

When he got home, he stared at the screen of his phone before falling back freely into his soft bed. He dialed her number but immediately ended the call. On second thoughts, he called her again.

“Liam, thank God! I thought you weren’t going to talk to me for a few days.” Faith’s voice was shaky. She was obviously repenting now. The love in her voice pulled at his heartstrings. That bitch, Scarlett. For a second, he decided he would tell her, but then he thought it would be a big risk.

“Liam?” Faith asked, when he didn’t respond for a long time.

“Yeah, we shouldn’t have fought like that.” He said in a low, sad voice.

“Is… everything okay?” She asked, her voice full of concern.

“I love you, Faith.” He sighed.

“Aww… I love you too!” Her chirpy voice made him feel guiltier.

TELL HER. An inner voice screamed at him. It took everything in him to stop from blurting out what had happened.

“Umm, so it’s cool right?”

“Of course! I can’t wait to see you again!”

They talked about random things before hanging up. Liam stuck out his lower lip in a very Faith-like manner and whispered to himself. “I don’t even know if this is my fault.”

He fell back into his bed again. He wanted to rip off Scarlett’s hair and stab her in the eye. Sure, she had started it, but the fact that Liam let it happen for a few seconds ate him up from within. Maybe it wasn’t that big a fault on his part. He was torn between telling her and just letting it be.

Faith was feeling a lot better now. They had finally made up and her mood was instantly lifted. She decided to text Liam, she was missing him too much! She picked up her phone from between her pillows, as she positioned herself stomach down on her bed, with her legs up in the air. Her heart fluttered when she saw that she already had one unread message. She expected it to be from Liam as she touched the screen to view the message.

A photo started loading. The top showed the head of a man.

‘That looks eerily similar to Liam’s hair.’ She thought. As the photo loaded further, a black mane appeared at a much lower height. It was indeed Liam. With his lips locked to Scarlett’s. Faith could swear she felt an arrow shoot right through her heart, as her phone slipped out of her hand and fell with a light thump onto the bed.

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter ♡