Waiting to Get Home

Bethany slouched in the black leather passenger seat of her boyfriend's white Porsche Cayenne S, looking out the window at her own flat expression in the side mirror. The car was his baby and he'd just gotten it washed. She could tell he thought he was somebody now.

His hand flexed on top of the wheel, Monaco watch on full display and elbow resting on the door like a.. like a..

Who was she kidding. Like himself.

He thought he was the shit because he was the shit in his coke white hoodie with the white gold chunky necklace on the outside falling on his collarbone. His white skully hid his dreads but showed off glittering diamond studs. His white pants tucked into his white Chelsea boots left Bethany to admire his style like damn.. He wanted to be like her so bad. They were matching today. She clutched her stomach and grimaced, her blush painted almond nails digging into her faux fur white jacket.

"Get your ID out," Erik said.

Bethany continued to hold her stomach. The pain from her cramps had long passed but she didn't like that he hadn't acknowledged the fact that she was in pain and cramping up to begin with. She wanted him to mention it.

"Where's your ID? Come on. Get it out."

Erik turned into the gate, following behind a red Toyota onto the Alameda military base.

"My stomach hurt," Bethany whined, with another grimace, her glossy bottom lip protruding. Erik still ain't look her way.

"I'm sorry your stomach hurts. Get your ID out, okay?"

What? No belly rub?

Bethany frowned at Erik's side profile as he looked ahead and to his own window, driving up to meet the guard. She already had her driver's license in her pocket but had purposely waited to take it out. She had no real reason other than she wanted to... because she could and Erik couldn't do anything about it.

He was looking at her now in irritation, his mouth a straight thin line and his eyes on hers. Finally, some attention.

"Here." Bethany stretched her arm and then her body over Erik's torso as he frowned, accepting the weight on his body. "Erik, move, damn," she groaned, her 20 inch bundles flowing in his face as she pressed down on his thigh for balance. She handed the guard her license and fell back into her seat with a sigh as the guard fought a smile. He wanted to laugh, but he could see Erik's stone face staring forward. Erik's brows then raised toward the guard as if to say "get me out of here" and the guard, nodding him on, handed back the ID's, including Erik's military ID.

Snatching the ID's from Erik's hand, Bethany ignored the quick turn of his head as he nudged the car forward slowly. He was glaring hard at the side of her face, but she was looking at the picture on his ID, unbothered and entertained.

"I don't get why some people gotta look evil in all their photos," she teased, her lip twisting in judgement. When she felt him refocus on the road, she looked through her window again as SWV's Right Here started to play on XM radio.

There were people walking about in tan camouflage and hats. There was even a group on the grass across the street who were doing some sort of military drill.

Erik drove into the parking lot of the commissary and parked in a middle spot, bypassing the disabled parking spaces. He threw it in park and pulled the key out, checking for his phone.

"You gone make me walk," Bethany sighed kissing her teeth. "Fine, whatever."

"You the one who get mad when I park in the accessible space! Where I'm supposed to park Bethany?"