Can You Handle It

“When you gonna let me rearrange your guts, Lashay?”

That was the question that made you choke on the last of your Mermaid Mixer, a Sangria and Margarita mix. Your good-good guy friend of nearly two years had just laid it all on the line bluntly and abruptly in a question that he’d normally laugh off as a joke, but this time he wasn’t laughing. No, not even a chuckle. Given, the two of you are at a bar and he is drunk off the Henny, you attribute his outburst to the fact that he is indeed drunk off his ass. Yep. That’s it, he’s three sheets in the wind! You roll your eyes and smack his shoulder, forcing a giggle and hit him harder than you intend.. an accident, your eyes widen to communicate. You’re obviously drunk off the juice too. Still, to your surprise, no ‘haha’ or ‘you’re mad!’ comes from his end. He just… stares at you…

 He just… stares at you…

No. No, no. Oh no. You recognize this stare. You’ve seen it used on countless targets of the female persuasion. It’s none other than the infamous ‘Stevens Stare’, able to bring down the panties of any woman and man.

“OKAAAYY. No more Henny for you!” You pull up the Lyft app on your phone and he reaches out to lower it, his eyes peering into yours in that.. specific way. Every now and again, he’d get this way. He’d try you and the temptation would be great. Lord help me, you plead silently. You can feel yourself slipping.

“I think we should walk it off and get some air. Let’s go to mine since I’m right here.”

Air. Yes, please. You nod having been to Erik’s place countless times. The two of you studied together regularly and every now and then you’d meet up to hang out on a platonic basis. According to him, he liked that you weren’t trying to get at him or get anything from him. He could relax without worrying about your motives. You understood because you saw the way women tripped over themselves to be in his presence without caring to know anything about him. You didn’t know much about him yourself actually, but it wasn’t because you didn’t ask. He was very private.. and as for your attraction to him? Undeniable. But you had too much pride to compete with his many fans. No, you preferred to be his friend and study partner. It was enough. Besides, he wasn’t the only cute guy on campus! People seemed to forget that!